Help a newcomer?

Pearly-Pearly

Community member
Hi! I am so glad I stumbled across this website! I bought these pearls on eBay, but haven't received them yet. They claim to be 1930s Akoya pearls, clasp is 14k. I love the deco style clasp, and I am a sucker for the graduated look. I have wanted a pair like this for years. I actually also like the color, if it is represented accurately. Unfortuately, I did not realize that in pearls, vintage is a disadvantage. Bummer. My question is, what should I look for when I receive them? I read on here about "blinking", will this be obvious? I wouldn't mind a little color variation, but nothing extreme. Any other way to determine wear? I don't want all the nacre to be worn off. Anything glaringly obvious to you experts from the pics? Do they look accurate? I did not pay a ton for them, but a decent amount to me. I am starting to think I should just wait and buy a new freshwater pair? They only have a 3 day return policy, please help soon!!! Thanks! Oh, and the seller was a reputable (from feedback, other items) estate jewelry seller from the US.

Attachments

• bu.jpg
    bu.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 32
  • bu3.jpg
    bu3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 34
  • bu4.jpg
    bu4.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 39
The pearls in the photo do appear to be vintage akoya pearls. The claim of 1930 is probably a bit off, however. I would assume they are post WWII based on the graduation. The probably date to the 50s.

Vintage is a disadvantage for cultured pearls, but the good thing about akoya pearls from that era is the thickness of the nacre. It was typically much thicker back then than it is today. You can see that there is some aging to the strand with some slight yellowing and discoloration. That is very typical of an old strand and there is nothing you can really do about it.

Do you know the size of the strand? The size, from smallest to largest, would be a good indicator whether or not the pearls are genuine.

I do not recognize the clasp but it probably is not an original anyway. The necklace has been recently knotted.

Thanks so much for your reply. The seller listed them at 3.2 to 7.5mms. So, if I actually like the color, is the discoloration ok? Or is a sign of wear on the nacre? Glad to hear about the thickness, if in fact they are vintage. I want to be able to wear them on a semi-regular basis and enjoy them. I guess I may be a little in the minority, as I do not like very "white" pearls.

The graduation is perfect. At that size I would say it is definitely a vintage strand of akoya.

If you like the color the strand is fine for you. The thicker nacre will ensure the strand lasts. Maybe not another century, but for a long time. Just be very careful with them and pay attention to pearl care.

I know, three days is cutting it close, especially with the holidays. Hopefully I can look and quickly decide. Can someone expand on this blinking concept? Also, what about value? Are they worthless at that age? For some reason, I keep thinking about that I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Desi are in Japan and Lucy wants a strand of pearls, haha! Hopefully they arrive soon, and maybe I can get some better pics when they do. Thanks again for all your help!!

When you are holding the pearls roll them back and forth. It would probably be easiest for you to do this on a surface - like a piece of paper.

If you are able to the nucleus "blink" it is a sign of nacre that should be a little thicker than it is. The blinking is discoloration or banding in the nucleus. It would go around the nucleus in a band, so when you are turning the pearls they would appear to blink. This is not really an easy thing to look for (unless the pearls are really bad) so you need to pay close attention.

In relation to monetary value, this is heavily dependent on the quality of the strand. The strand does not apparently come with "papers" which are, unfortunately, often the most valuable part of a vintage strand. It would be a collector's piece, and does have that value, however.

Ebay Stuff

Ebay Stuff

As somebody who buys and sells a bit on Ebay, here's a couple of things I can offer up to ya.

Thing #1 Ebay has millions of users. So, you will meet a bunch of flakes, a gaggle of geeks and more than a few honest ethical people.

Thing #2 Paypal can be quite an asset to you. They cover up to 2000 bucks if you get ripped off and have quite a bit of leverage in dealing with big sellers.

Thing #3 Use common sense and checkout vendors/sellers before risking any big bucks.

Ya know . . .

We live in a purty small world. If'n I needed to, in addition to checking out stuff online, I'd bet I could locate a family member/friend/business or social aquaintance, that could knock on someone's door (even yours) within a day or two of my request.

It may not "take a villiage to raise a child", but my villiage keeps me out of trouble on a regular basis. (As well as providing me with someone to tell me a good story and have a laugh with.)

If you get into an ebay jam . . .Give me a hollar.

Best to ya,

Cap'n Rob (ebayer of the 2nd class)

Acksim: First, welcome to the board and now, breathe deeply, in, slowly through your nose, and now exhale slowly out through your mouth. You're having a case of buyer's remorse and there's no need. You have a lovely strand.

I looked at that strand myself for some time. Not for the same reason you did. My interest was in the clasp. I didn't bid the first time, but when it was relisted, I queried the seller. When lo and behold, you scooted right in underneath me and won them. Congratulations!

The seller seems like a lovely, lovely woman. Write her, tell her your return time concerns, ask if (because of the holidays) you can have an extra couple of days. I'm quite sure when you get them you will be delighted and all your fears will go away.

Hi,
I was wondering how is a strand of cultured pearls from the 30s different than one from the 50s (from a graduation and/or size of pearls perspective)?

I guess I did get pretty worked up there for a second :eek:

Thanks for the reassurance. Because of you lovely people, I am excited about them again. I can't wait to see what they look like in person. I also thought highly of the seller, and am calmer now about the return policy. I think that when they get here I will know fairly instantly whether I like them or not.

May I ask what piqued your interest in the clasp? Is it unusual? I was very drawn to it, one of the main reasons I bought them.

I have always LOVED pearls and this will be my first strand! I have a feeling it won't be my last:D

Oh geez! You want the whole thought process? You're asking for trouble -- Panda style! Let's see, I like the Maltese cross design, I like silver. You can't get a more secure clasp than the fish hook. For some reason, this clasp looks a bit more unusual as it appears to have two soldered rings on each end which makes it really easy to work. I'm a huge graduation fan. I know, TMI.

Well, they arrived today. Sadly, I think I will be sending them back. The color is stunning, but there is a lot of texture variance in the pearls. Sort of a rippling effect, if that makes sense. Knotty panda, the clasp is to die for! I am sad to see it go, I just wish the pearls were in better shape. Off to look at some of the vendors around here for a different strand! Thanks again for all of your help and input.

Back