Has anyone been to diamondtalk.com?

T

tahitiangirl

I have recently been looking at a site called diamondtalk.com and I was shocked by something someone said to me. I had posted a reply to a thread about a loose pink sapphire for sale. There was no picture in the thread and there was no price listed. I do not know much about pearl pricing so I e-mailed the pearl seller and just to be curious asked how much the pearl was. Later the seller e-mailed me back and asked what company I worked for and if I had a degree in gemology. I e-mailed him back and told him that I was 16 and did not have a degree. He e-mailed me back and told me to stop bothering him and wasting his time and that I should not even be on the site. To say the least I was very disappointed and upset for several reasons. One, I thought the site had some good information and the people on the site would be willing to answer questions. Also, there are several people on the site who are in the jewelry business and had very nice pieces that I was considering buying. Now I am totally against buying from any people on the site because I feel that I can't ask questions. Am I over reacting?
Also, I know this forum is about pearls but I would just like some opinions and I know that nobody here will get angry with me.

tahitiangirl said:
... Later the seller e-mailed me back and asked what company I worked for and if I had a degree in gemology. I e-mailed him back and told him that I was 16 and did not have a degree. He e-mailed me back and told me to stop bothering him and wasting his time and that I should not even be on the site. ...

WOW - I am kind of at a loss for words on this one. I will have to be honest, after I read your post I just sat here for a while and looked at the screen to make sure that I read what I though I did...

I guess the next thing is I will need a degree in motorsport technology just so I can buy a car!

If you are looking for an answer as to whether this is "acceptable" or not, the answer is absolutely not! As a consumer I have certain expectations of any seller/retailer for the product that I intend on purchasing. Number one, they should not make it difficult for me to give them my money (this is my largest pet peeve). Number two, they should not treat me like dirt while I am trying to give them my money.

First, I would like to appologize for the mistakes in my post, I used pearl instead of sapphire a few times, sorry if I confused anyone, I had my head in the clouds! Thanks so much for your comments, I agree with what both of you said. I was so confused when I was talking to the seller. I think that the seller did not work for a company. I however can't be sure as the whole thread is gone now and I have no idea if he mentioned if he worked for anyone, he wouldn't even give me his first name so I doubt I could find out who his employer is.

No need to apologize. I knew what you were trying to say and I also understand that if you really love pearls, no matter what you are talking about, you always have them on your mind :D

After taking a closer look at that forum I have my doubts that you can get truly objective information there. They have one forum that is specifically dedicated to talking about the items they have for sale in their database. This by itself presents a very biased slant for that forum.

I wish that I could point you in a better direction for getting good, unbiased discussion about gemstones, but that is not my speciality.

Hi tahitiangirl,
Check out Richard Wise's blog. He is a wonderful gem expert who is the author of Secrets of the Gem Trade, (which I'm going to buy for a b-day gift to myself this year).

(http://gemwiseblogspotcom.blogspot.com). I hope I got that address right. He actually talks about the top four sites, which include diamondtalk and this forum and rates them. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I'm going to!

Laura

thanks so much for the advice everyone! And I know, I always do have pearls on the mind:) I will certainly take a look at Mr. Wise's blog and site, thanks for the tip Laura.

Hi Tahitian Girl,

As we all know, some people are just rude. Your inquiries have been welcomed here.

Richard Wise has multiple books, and I think this is the correct website http://gemwiseblogspotcom.blogspot.com.
I double checked and you can get there from here!

Pattye Saab

Last edited by a moderator:
People never cease to amaze me! Who would ever dream of being so rude? I do have to say that it's better that his true colors came out early because that is not someone you would ever want to do business with or even waste your energy communicating with.

How on earth can people be so well to keep it polite Rude! especially to those asking questions! I would like to know what company this is as well. So I make sure NEVER to do Business whit them! Please ask questions that is what this site is here for for those seeking to gain knowledge and for those in the know to give it!

Cheers

Ash

Since the stone you were inquiring about had no price listed, and no picture...I presume it was posted in DT's "Jewelry Classifieds"

People "in the Biz" are not allowed to advertise there, but anyone else in the world can join up and post a piece for sale there. I've seen quite a few posts in that section from first-time and presumably last-time DT posters.

I wouldn't condemn the whole site because of the rudeness of one unidentified stranger.

Bogus

BTW, I recently cited Pearl-Guide on DT as an excellent source of info on pearls with no problems/repercussions. That referral is still there.

I think that these online forums are all different, with different rules and different goals. None of them is perfect, including PG. It's up to the consumer/participants to pick out what's useful, and disregard the rest.

I DO think that in general, established members of one forum publicly trashing another one is not a very good idea.

JMO
Bogus

Last edited by a moderator:
"I wouldn't condemn the whole site because of the rudeness of one unidentified stranger."

I just wanted that busness name..
Bogus,

I take offence at one who will treat a person in cut offs and jeans with stringy hair like less than dirt and give the lady in a fur coat all the attention.. both should be treated equally nice! younever know where that kindness will lead!

You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar!

Cheers

Ash

Surprised

Surprised

That is really surprising from that forum. I spent a year on that site before we bought my engagement ring. Never had that type of experience during that time. Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. :)

Back