Gulf pearls?

barbaradilek

I had assumed from various articles that gulf pearls were synonymous with natural pearls,that cultured pearls were prohibited in the gulf states to to religious attitudes.However I have just read that a Pearl farm has been established in that area,offering cultured pearls for sale.Are cultured pearls generally acceptable in the GCC states,or will the Pearl farms wares be for export only?

These are great questions Barbara. Wish I could tell you the answer to: Are cultured pearls generally acceptable in the UAE?
I have recently covered more recent news about the development of pearl farms in the Persian Gulf (check out this thread RAK Pearls: UAE pearl industry to rise from the depths after lost decades - Pearl-Guide.com) but you can obtain great information on the subject all the way to dear old Caitilin starting this thread back in 2013.

What I believe is that they are mostly a form of Touristic attraction designed to sell the pearls to tourists, but DANAT is also working on creating a "Sustainable Natural Pearl" in the region. Jeremy and I were on a CIBJO committee meeting just this morning and I will be appointed to the Sustainable Pearls sub-committee so I will be in touch (January 2022) with some of the people behind these efforts in the Persian Gulf and will probably be able to have more information.

Thank you El Cortez for your prompt answer,and I will certainly look at the threads you suggest.The whole idea of a sustainable natural Pearl project is intriguing,and I think there are a lot of us that will be interested on how it works out.However beautiful a cultured Pearl is,the romance attached to a natural Pearl catches us suckers every time!

Back