'great' grandmother's pearls.

That is a terrific idea. I don't think I would have ventured to that end. I am going to see if I can extend it.

All your pearls are beautiful. I don't think I would describe the baroque pearls as second-rate. They are a different type that is less-valuable than perfectly round pearls, but they are still very good pearls. They would cost a pretty penny if you had to purchase the same quality yourself. :)

I cannot thank you for your insight. I never, ever thought I might be able to extend the really small necklace because of how small the pearls are at the end of the strand. Using white gold beads may very well compliment the necklace and allow me to show it off. The other two I already wear. I don't have any great pearls to speak of in my ownership so these may change my collection. Who would have thought I might own a noteworthy pearl necklace(s)? Are the nipple pearls as nice as the round? Or are they second rate. I don't mind if they are second rate. I wear them with or without blemish. The infant strand, I need to see who can restring them and add some additional beads. Would not recommend adding cultured seed pearls?

Personally I'd keep the small pearls together and separate. If they are indeed naturals it would make them very special to me and I wouldn't want to risk them being mixed up - or for others who didn't know about added seed pearls to mix them up.

- Karin

I wouldn't change the small one, it would ruin it. Wear it wrapped a couple of times around your wrist. It will look really pretty.

I am wearing the round pearls around my neck. I called my jeweler and asked about having seed pearls necklace checked by GIA> He replied "why do that? it is very expensive. necklace not worth the cost I am sure (not seeing them). my sister can restring necklace. Bring them in I look at them." EEKS.... I am writing as my Cambodian jeweler speaks English. I will take them in next week and have them cleaned and knotted. They in fact do go around my throat with about an inch give... I am a happy dragon.

I'm glad you can fit them around your neck. :D On you wrist as a bracelet they could get banged and they are pretty small, so a ding could be pretty bad. Good luck with them at the jeweler. Is his sister experienced with pearls? Is he pretty familiar with pearls? ~d

Will find out. I will keep you posted. I don't have the experience to know ones experience. Is there a question I should ask? BD

I can't see the detail well enough to tell, but with tiny pearls, they often knot just the first four or five pearls near the clasp, where it is most likely to break. If your whole strand is knotted, those are some tiny knots. :)

Did J Norris confirm that they were indeed natural or cultured? are you able to take a photo of the strand you write of in the forum or is that something you don't do ...

GemGeek, I went back to the infant necklace. I counted 232 pearls. What I did note was the center pearl and those on each side were not knotted. I used a 40x loop as I have bad sight. I could not count the pearls with my eyeglasses on or with a magnifying glass at 7x. However, the last three pearls on either side of the clasp were knotted . Yes, the knots were incredibly small. I would never have counted them except I was checking for knots. When I got to 100 I was still not at the center of the necklace. Too my amazement I am more impressed with little strand than previously. I wish I had more provenance. However, who owned them first and how it was handed down is lost. All those that would have known have died. I can't believe I own them. I am now questioning my decision to have them restrung. I also saw that they were really dirty.

I wonder what they looked like new and 'cleaned'.

I agree the semi-round pearls are Akoya. They are not quite baroque, some where between the two descriptions. Great luster and color. I would not wear with the small ones which are quite likely natural. Most round pearls that size are natural and in your gg grandmother's time that was all there were, with very few exceptions. We have restrung, added to, and resold many over the 40 years and they are my favorite and the personal history makes them all the more desirable. Current value at auction might be 800-1000 depending on the size of the center pearls. they should be knotted to prevent the hole area from wearing flat and becoming barrel shaped which takes decades but does happen. That is, the hole side is worn flat from grit in the air combined with cosmetics, lack of proper maintenance, and not being knotted, the knots on the small pearls are unsightly but serve a purpose to preserve the pearls, besides it usually under the hair and not seen. Extensions made with 14k chain can be added so you could wear them at a length you prefer. We string naturals with "c" or OO silk.

Back