Gimp Questions

Sea Urchin

I wanted to get my strands restrung on PowerPro and set with mystery clasps so I wouldn't have to bother with re-stringing anymore but I couldn't find anyone I knew of who is in the US who wants to take it on.

So now my second choice is to try to improve on the gimp my strands are strung with. The gimp is always the first thing to go and the usual reason I have to get my strands re-strung. (And I don't want to learn to string them myself).

Is there something more durable than gimp that I could have used on them?

Or does silver colored gimp hold up better than gold colored gimp? Most of my strands are done with yellow gold clasps and correspondingly, gold colored gimp. It turns black over time.

Thanks in advance. :)

Have you thought about having certain styles of clasps which don't require gimp? Of course if you're willing to spend some money on new clasps.
This way of stringing is interesting, there's no need for some gimp. Photo courtesy of Cees Van Oije.
_20210307_165145.JPG

Last edited:
Have you thought about having certain styles of clasps which don't require gimp? Of course if you're willing to spend some money on new clasps.

What styles of clasp (besides the mystery clasps I mentioned above) don't require gimp

ETA: Thanks for adding the picture. I would love to have that used. I've never seen it before. :)

I'm thinking about this style in the picture. I only have it in sterling silver, I think you can get it in yellow gold too.

_20210307_173552.jpg

I still add a very short piece of French wire even though it doesn't show - the thread still needs the protection from rubbing

I've strung pearl necklaces without gimp. I just knot through the loop on the clasp with the silk or Beaders Secret thread I'm using. I did this all the time before I knew gimp existed. If it breaks, then it's time to restring.

I find that if the gimp turns black, then it's way past time to restring anyway.

Last edited:
You could also slow down oxidation by storing pearls (and all jewelry that tends to tarnish) with a small square of anti-tarnish paper (available on Amazon and elsewhere.)

Well, gee. I had no idea these gimp alternatives were out there all along.

BWeaves- I'm trying to fix my pearl strands this time around so they don't need to be restrung anymore, hence the PowerPro. Also, hi, to you and all. Long time, no see. :)

I've condensed my jewelry collection again and am now going through and improving on what I'm keeping. It's not nearly as fun as getting new stuff though. :p

It seems to me that any pearl necklace that is worn much will need restringing eventually, whatever the thread. The weight of the pearls and the effect of gravity just tightens the knots more and little gaps eventually appear, especially in heavier strands.

It seems to me that any pearl necklace that is worn much will need restringing eventually, whatever the thread. The weight of the pearls and the effect of gravity just tightens the knots more and little gaps eventually appear, especially in heavier strands.

Ah, okay. It seems my "great idea" is just not going to work out very well lol.

Yeah, my knots tighten up between pearls, and they the pearls slip, so the necklaces need restringing eventually anyway.

I've had excellent luck with our Pattye's gimp. It's never oxidized on me.

I have several strands strung on Power Pro that I've had for several years and they have not stretched noticeably. But of course that is not an experiment under controlled conditions. For one thing, I don't wear my strands that much.

And I just googled Power Pro and it appears that "Power Pro Braided Fishing Line" either has either no or nearly no stretch, depending on what you read.

However, I don't know if "Power Pro Braided Fishing Line" is exactly the same thing that's used to string pearls. I was under the impression that "Power Pro" was a stringing material that was like fishing line, not that it actually was fishing line. And the "braided" part is another question mark to me. I don't know if there is a Power Pro that's not braided or what exact type my strands were strung on.

And I don't know if "near zero stretch" (if that's even correct because I read both "zero stretch" and "near zero stretch) when talking about fishing is good enough for keeping a strand of pearls together well, though as mentioned it has worked well for me.

I guess this part of the thread should be under "stringing materials" rather than "gimp," but anyway, I'll update if I notice anything else, hopefully adding to the pearly knowledge bank here. :)

Last edited:
To answer the questions above, yes-- Power Pro is braided fishing line. Actual fishing line. That is what we use for stringing.

It's not that the thread stretches, it's that a heavy necklace-- whether it's heavy because the pearls are large or because the necklace is long-- will just cause the knots to tighten over time. When stringing, I tighten my knots quite firmly but even so, over time the knots will tighten even more. That is what leaves little gaps. Same goes for other synthetic thread such as Pattye's Serafil thread and Beaders Secret.

If the pearls are smaller or if you don't wear the necklace much, it will take a longer time for this to happen.

If it were me, I'd stick to Serafil or Beaders Secret because it comes in a wider range of colors for pearls.

I agree with PD. My Beaders Secret does NOT stretch. The knots tighten, which makes the thread between the knots get longer, and that's when the pearls start slipping, It appears as if the necklace has stretched, but the thread itself didn't stretch. I can tighten knots until the necklace kinks, and the knots will still tighten and the necklace relax over time.

Thanks for all the help, all.

Now, off to find some gimpless clasp parts. :)

Back