Gemstone Buyers - Recommendations?

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I've been working on a design recently and need to source some stones. I don't really know who or where to buy from and am hoping a few folks on here will have trusted vendors/sourcers to recommend.
I'm looking for a pair of trapezoid stones, either red spinel or diamond for my design.
Thank you!
SPOU6968.jpg

Hi MSC,

If you are looking for cut stones, I have tried gemrockauctions. They have a good selection from different sellers with all budget types. However, a pair of trapezoids is difficult to find. You can try to post at gemologyonline though on your requirements and some cutters may be willing to respond to your request. :)

Last edited:
Try Jeff Davies (he is on Pinterest and Facebook). He can usually get unusual cuts. David of Multicolour.com might also be able to help (send him an email, since the site doesn't list everything).

As for diamonds, they might be trickier. Since they would usually be side stones, trapezoids are more easily found on trade sites, such as stuller.

Try Jeff Davies (he is on Pinterest and Facebook). He can usually get unusual cuts. David of Multicolour.com might also be able to help (send him an email, since the site doesn't list everything).

As for diamonds, they might be trickier. Since they would usually be side stones, trapezoids are more easily found on trade sites, such as stuller.

Yes, multicolour! How can the site even slip my mind! :)

Jeff Davies is a good recommendation, I've purchased from him. Stones do take 3 to 4 weeks (at least in my case) to get to the US. You might also want to check with Yvonne Raley on Etsy. She sources a lot of gems and works pretty closely with Primagems, too. right now she is headed to JCK and will look for special requests, so if you're interested you might want to send her a convo. As far as regular diamond traps, maybe Leibish? I've only purchased pink diamonds from them, but they also stock traps to use in their designs. Both of these vendors have great service and generally good prices. :)

Update: I contacted Yvonne and she said she has never seen trapezoid spinels on the market. And she said my budget was waaaaaay under what would be realistic. I was thinking of spinels as a more budget friendly alternative to diamonds, but if cost of speciality cut spinels equals the cost of a pair of nice diamonds then I'd just go with diamonds. Seems like this will be one of those gradual upgrade projects. I'll probably make a two strand without the stations first, just so I can enjoy the pearls and the clasp, then acquire the stones piecemeal as I can afford them. Will still be a fun project!

Update: I contacted Yvonne and she said she has never seen trapezoid spinels on the market. And she said my budget was waaaaaay under what would be realistic. I was thinking of spinels as a more budget friendly alternative to diamonds, but if cost of speciality cut spinels equals the cost of a pair of nice diamonds then I'd just go with diamonds. Seems like this will be one of those gradual upgrade projects. I'll probably make a two strand without the stations first, just so I can enjoy the pearls and the clasp, then acquire the stones piecemeal as I can afford them. Will still be a fun project!

Check local pawn shops/estate jewelry retailers...you might get lucky and find trapezoid shaped baguettes.

Those are the connectors I used for my pastel Tahitian projects, only in the round version. They are nice, very simple, and sparkle! I used jump rings to connect to the wire wraps as I was concerned that the rings on the bezels might be too stressed next to the wire wraps...I might not have needed them, but they made for more movement, which I like.

Thanks, Pattye! I think they would look very deco in white gold next to the golden pearls and with the diamond clasp.
I'm glad to hear they hold up well, Jersey. They'll make good intermediaries. Since the pearls will be small, I'm not worried about stress on the rings.

Back