For those who like guesssing.....

I

imanit

What do you think they are ????

s001.jpg

sa.jpg

sb.jpg

One awesome pair of earrings, of course! :p What else could they be...

I thought, it would take longer to guess. Yes Sea of Cortez. My new babies... almost round ones 9-9.4mm and baroques drop-like 9.5-9.9mm.
Lots of violet and green on silver-blue "base". Rounder ones are little bit darker. I love them !!!!

Valeria101 said:
One awesome pair of earrings, of course! :p What else could they be...

You are totally right !!!! What else !!! Maybe you can help with the idea how to set them ??? . I don't want them " a la Carolyn from Druzydesigns"....

If I may, where did you get them?

knotty panda said:
If I may, where did you get them?

..Very legitimately bought them directly from Mexico. Seller doesn't wish me to advertise his name on this Forum. Trust me, he is a reputable one.

Very, very lovely! Did you check Jeremy's earring findings? He has some nice ones on his website.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

ps of course I am jealous

Lucky you. I was going to ask the same thing as Knotty Panda :)
Bummer that it's a secret. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

imanit said:
Maybe you can help with the idea how to set them ?

If they looked on the ear as they do now - drop under round stud, nothing else from the setting showing, they would be great, of course. I am not sure how much remains to be chosen if you go for this look: whether the drops should be fixed or mobile, what metal... Usually the pearls are attached independently these days.

Now... maybe you can try something similar out and see if having the drops very close to the round pearls actually fits well on your ears. You'd want the drops to fall (mostly) below the lobe... It depends on how your piercings were made etc. Normally, it is thought that one would not want both pearls perched over the lobe - only the stud. And if nature and the size of the pearls doesn't allow for this, the solution is to insert a connective element (chain links, or something more intricate) between the two pearls, so that the drop falls a bit lower, under the lobe.

Basically, that's about as much that comes to mind about stud & drop earrings. I would bet this is the line of thought your jeweler will go through as well. Mine does.

Obviously, there could be 'complications' involving caps and stones and what not. But that a different chapter. (that never quite ends)...

There are ready made settings for two pears earrings with both pearls fixed. The easiest option looks like THIS and is found on findings catalogues. All that remains for the jeweler is to find out how many links you need between the pearls, and whether theres need for larger nuts to keep the earrings sitting nicely without drooping.

Of course you got me dreaming gray pearls too... And no matter how much I like littel bits of setting detail, the subtle colors of the pearls and the added interest by the baroque shape of the drops are just about enough for me. For daywear, I would not want anything else added. And use gray gold to set them (=pompous name for the common alloy of Paladium White Gold). They's de heavy enough w/o platinum backs... Perhaps I would try to see what happen if small colored or white beads (gemstone beads, of course) are added to 'cap' the drops - just because there is very little extra fuss involved and I find that pieces of jewelry where little bits of color pick up the overtones from pearls - especially colored pearls - are particularly lovely. Care Ehret - since you reminded me of her! - plays with this stone-drop on pearls idea too: e.g. HERE - just imagine a classic setting in white metal... I am just referring to the use of a diamond bead there; and I'd rather have a round or roundel briolette-cut bead too. Obviously, more typical choice of little faceted & set stones are straightforward and freakin' spectacular.

Just a thought ...

purpleforpearlsir2.png

In your pictures, the prevailing overtone appears to be purple...

Wow Valeria..... I knew I could count on you with gazillion ideas and interesting pictures.!!!!!
Yes, I want "dangle earrings using round pearl above the drop. I want simple, classy setting. Both pearls have to "sit below the earlobe. I'm a BIG girl, but somehow I do not like pearls bigger than 7mm in the lobe. They stick too much out !!. I would hang them on very small hoop earrings to have the first pearl close to the lobe
The Pearl Outlet earrings:

I like your idea of adding the stone in between the pearls, but not purple one. In some light, pearls are more gray-green, they lose the purple tint. I want them to take whatever color they want without distracting with "fixed" color of the stone - so I have to go with diamond or if I want to make it more original - labradorite looks good with them - one that flashes blue/green/gray, or good rainbow moonstone....

Oh! Good to know there is one more fan of small pear studs around ;)

Having both pearls 'drop' below the ear sounds even better... of course. It would yield quite some earrings! Probably with no need to make them even longer (they'd end around 23-25mm anyway).

Dare I say 'small colored studs' for suspending the pearls on the ear? The drops could even be detachable, if you would want them to fit on various accomodating earrings. I could imagine they would go with color and colorless... and even with smaller white pearls... of dark blacks... or ... What do you think?

For stones with color play opal and moonstone sound great to me. Better than labradorite (a bit trendy, although I do like it).

No time to sketch... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Seller doesn't wish me to advertise his name on this Forum.
For people who want to know, go to perlas.com and look over the website. they have some great history and info there.

They only sell to a very limited number of jewelers- Care and about 3-4 others. They have a store in Guaymas and there is at least one other seller in Mexico advertised on their site.

Can't imagine why they wouldn't want this site mentioned.......weird:rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Caitlin Williams said:
......weird.

Indeed.

How about alexandrite?

that second picture really gave them away as Sea of Cortez - just awesome colors. But really why on earth would a dealer not want to get free advertising on the largest most trafficked pearl website in the world?

knotty panda said:
Indeed.

How about alexandrite?

PRICE! And availability. Besides, the colors are not eactly vivid in either and one needs to squint for the color change in small studs. Wouldn't know what esoteric quality of either type would actually provide both nice colors and color change... That's why those are not usually on my mind.

E.G: Alexandrite and color change garnet... small stud sized. Pairs available.

There are other color changers... garnet, sapphire. But thy don't go all over the rainbow. I'd do opal, for the studs and perhaps a spacer. White crystal opal, say:

aec7d9fa661e504732f4e60f291a0a40.jpg

lela.jpg

From Stachura and Daniel Lopacki.

Black opal?

Sure... why not... That type just came to mind thinking of the pearl being closer to gray then black. Besides, I am not thinking of the white, opaque material called 'white opal' in mall jewelry - the translucent fiery stuff is quite another matter; I like to see those 'fireworks' inside floating in mid-air ... something that dark base doesn't allow.

Since you will need smaller bits, seam opal more famously used for inlays would be a possibility. Someone on Gemology Online came up with a bag of that a couple o weeks ago. ... [thinking out loud]. You might have guessed I am thinking of having those opals cut to model. Lopacki might have some too - that website is useless!

BTW:
dc7af852d1b9d0b97d48bf2322fbb371.jpg

knotty panda said:
Indeed.

How about alexandrite?
....great minds think alike :).... I thought about alexandrite. It should be perfect if it would change color same way as pearls...but what if to " goes green" when the pearls "go purple".... well, maybe it would be great !

...maybe, because he doesn't have enough pearls to satisfy ALL "Cortez pearls hungry" people from this Forum .... and he doesn't want to give impression that he "snobs them" ???? Frankly, I don't know. Maybe he sells only to few people and he made an exception for me and doesn't want it to be known to his regular buyers ??? I did not ask for reason. I just respect his wish....

Back