Flameball and other baroque carved pearls

Hello !
It looks like abalone in pink, good job ! I have already tried to carve a tahitian pearl and it requires a lot of patience and experience... and tools too !!!

Thank you BWeaves. I have allowed me to try a little fancy (10mm diam.). I wich to find good green orient pearls, as tahitian can give. This one was not good grade, and it's without pity for pale greens. The pearl of KaySD's avatar is still a dream.
Yes, Perla Mundi, a lot of work... and tahitian pearls are the less difficult to carve.

Last edited:
I love the colors and Pearl Mundi put her finger on it -- they look like abalone patterns -- so fitting. :)

I am happy to see you liking so different pearls aspects. Unfortunatly, this green pearl is far from abalone brightness! It was a low grade, first, and tahitian pearls often turn to darker in hollow carved parts, and it's not the best for original pale specimens.
I think that this one more looks like abalone, in blue:
flame1 verso.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you GemGeek! Each pearl is a surprise, when carving is finished : the great charm I enjoy to work pearls.
But it's always on the razor edge : about the other side of this pearl, I have touched a bit the nucleus, and pearl had a little growth fault. Not a desaster, at speed look ( I show you the most cruel photo), but sadly, It's seriously not perfect.
Then, as the good side is really gorgeous (and without any rigging about colours, so different than the other side!), I ask to me if it would be better I work pearl to make a mabe style, for mounting as (big) ring, for exemple. Between friends, what do you think of that ?
Other side :
flame 1 verso.jpg
Mounting in ring :
flame 1 bague.jpg

Last edited:
Back