First strands and clasps question!

Abi

Hello my dear Pearl lovers and Beaders :).

I was at a tradeshow this past weekend and have bought myself my first strand of Tahitians and gold south sea pearls! 20170424_084059.jpg

They are both strung on a temporary strand, and I would love to re-string my lovely pearls into necklaces....
I worry since it's going to be my first time!

Now I know Pearl Dreams have posted a helpful first timer thread-
Thanks to Pattye I have:
beader's secret
needles
and french wire

but I have a couple of questions for anyone up to answer?

I have bought a sterling silver clasp with CZ that I was thinking for my tahitians, but I now worry it might be too big?20170424_114659.jpg

I love how long it is because I would love my necklace little longer without having to purchase more pearls.

I have another clasp I bought awhile ago, it's suppose to be for 2 strands, but I think I could attach chain to the attachments connect it to a jump ring, and attach my pearl strand?
20170424_115603.jpg

I was wondering if I want to change out the clasp to my strands in the future, will it be to weird to string the ends with closed rings, and just use open jumprings to change out the clasps so I don't have to restring it each time?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Gempacked has some wonderful smaller scale Sterling Silver and CZ clasps that you may want to check out: https://www.gempacked.com/findings-...terling-Silver-and-CZ-Cubic-Zirconia-Foldover

I wouldn't keep the pearls strung as they are...if you wish to keep them on wire, buy the little silicone spacers and put them in between each pearl. They come in white, black, gold (as well as some other colors). They will give a more professional look. With wire, you will want to properly crimp. I also use wire guards and crimp covers: https://www.gempacked.com/Sterling-Silver-Wire-Protector-Thimbles?gp_product_id=13254
https://www.gempacked.com/Crimp-Bead-Covers?gp_product_id=13283

And I forgot to add...lovely pearls!

::clicks on link for fold over clasp::
:: Jaw drops::
JerseyPearl this is totally my style!

I had bought my strands Friday and Saturday, and forgot to bring them with me Sunday :/.

Maybe I could use it for my GSSP strand..
... if anything, I could always use the big clasp in the future for another project :D.

Thank you JerseyPearl :D

Last edited:
I agree that the clasp is far too big for either strand. Best to save it for something very dramatic and long where it can sit in front on the side and be a feature. There is no real reason that you couldn't attach to a jump ring...a very sturdy one...it's just not at neat as finishing off next to the clasp. You'll have a bit of 'empty space' with a jump ring and then the gimp attached to it. It's not the end of the world..just not a very professional finish.. if that doesn't bother you then go for it. Pretty pearls. Where was the trade show? Oh..I just noticed you are in Hawaii lol nvm :D

Restringing is easy. I wouldn't worry about having to restring to change a clasp.

Restringing is easy. I wouldn't worry about having to restring to change a clasp.

I agree with this! :)

Knots have width and would lengthen the strand by about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. (You have 43 pearls in that Tahitian strand, so there would be 42 knots x 0.4 - 0.5mm per knot). Is that enough additional length for you? If not, you might consider buying just a few loose Tahitians to lengthen the necklace further. I've bought Tahitians from druzydesign (Care Ehret) on eBay; you can see exactly the pearls you are buying, to try to match them.

I would restring to change the clasp, just looks more finished. Pretty pearls!

Hi BWeaves and Pearl Dreams :D
I think I'm going to try the closed clasp, and if I don't like it restring.. it would be a good way to practice and perfecting my stringing :)

Which reminds me, I need to buy some more Beaders secret from Pattye :D.

I have actually bought some blue silver akoyas from DruzyDesign on Ebay!

I have a thick neck (I'm a pretty plus size gal :) ), and would like the strand to be a bit longer.
I reached out to the vendor I bought the strands from, Continental Pearls. They have an office in LA that they could send me some pearls my way.
I had bought a few pearls from Aloha Pearls, but realized too late they wouldn't work with the strand.

But I guess they'll just work on another project then :)

I agree with this! :)

Knots have width and would lengthen the strand by about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. (You have 43 pearls in that Tahitian strand, so there would be 42 knots x 0.4 - 0.5mm per knot). Is that enough additional length for you? If not, you might consider buying just a few loose Tahitians to lengthen the necklace further. I've bought Tahitians from druzydesign (Care Ehret) on eBay; you can see exactly the pearls you are buying, to try to match them.

I would restring to change the clasp, just looks more finished. Pretty pearls!

Hi SunSeeker!!!

I had started practicing stringing on pearls that came from a bracelet I wire wrapped. I learned a few things so far:

Buy thread maybe a mm smaller than the pearl hole,
Learn how to tie beaders secret onto a needle.
I may want to get a darker color beader's secret.
I may need to get more french wire.

Ah, learning and having fun because pearls are beautiful to work with.

Back