First Attempt at Pearls on Chain

holes larger? I sure hope you didn't make the holes larger on such nice pearls

holes larger? I sure hope you didn't make the holes larger on such nice pearls

I am kinda a freak on changing the natural item.

So, not to long ago I was asking about jewelry soldering and got some great responses...and though I probably chose the worst material to start off with...0.8mm wide 18KT gold box chains...I was successful without too much trouble (though I did melt almost an inch of chain on my first soldering attempt).

Anyways, I had a customer request that I create a higher quality version of two necklaces sold by Shecy...and here's what they ended up looking like.

First necklace is 16 inch, 0.8mm wide 18K yellow gold box chain with 5 x 7-7.5mm Akoya pearls and 4 x 3mm 18K yellow gold beads. I used loose grade Akoya's and I did have to drill 1.13mm holes in each in order to thread the chain through them.
Irish-16-inch-gold-pearl-chain-1.jpg

Second necklace is also a 16 inch, 0.8mm wide 18K yellow gold box chain with 2 x 7-7.5mm Akoya pearls and 1 x 4mm 18K yellow gold beads. I also had to half drill the Akoya's with 1.13mm holes.
Apple-16-inch-gold-pearl-chain-1.jpg

Special thanks to Wendy for the soldering video...it was invaluable. And special thanks to Jeremy for warning me about how difficult drilling Akoya's could be...it prevented me from destroying these little beauties.

holes larger? I sure hope you didn't make the holes larger on such nice pearls. I am kinda a freak on changing the natural item.

Sure did...that's what the customer wanted...even though I agree with you.

Back