Fireball strand

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
This strand of huge fireballs (biggest 18x34mm) has been sitting on my workbench since sept Hong Kong while I try to come up with ideas for the pearls..so far two station necklaces (one with the dark and one with the lighter pearls) is the best I've managed. i don't much like straight strands of fireballs..too clumpy and they don't show off the pearls very well. These are mostly good with some lovely colour and I have to wonder why they were drilled. There are a couple which could make sort of pairs...
Throwing it out there..any ideas?
fireball strand.JPG

No interest in using them as pendants? I know that they are drilled through but some people don't mind that ... not my fav look but with a bit of gold and a couple of gemstone beads ...

If you want to do necklace you could certainly do station. I've used them in station with gemstone spacers between so they are quite far apart .. like 8 inches or so .. pearl...4 inches ... gem ......4 inches...Pearl . Something like an interesting nugget shaped semi precious or a faceted rondelle with some size to it..10mm ..

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr......... you could try using them in a freshwater 'harvest' type strand ?

I would separate them and use them as pendants. Since they are fully drilled, I would use them round side up, with an eye pin, and add a tassel of gemstone beads in a complementary colour - that would be one heck of a pendant!

Another option would be to use a pair as end caps on a thick multistrand necklace. Fan side towards the chains, round side out and, once again, use the fully drilled hole to add an eye pin and very small hook and eye clasp.

Lady_Disdain..great ideas and you've also triggered the idea of setting them as the two ends of a heavy bangle, tails out.....now..how would I construct that so that they don't snap due to metal fatigue at the point where the pearl is set......hmmmm
Thanks!

Lady_Disdain..great ideas and you've also triggered the idea of setting them as the two ends of a heavy bangle, tails out.....now..how would I construct that so that they don't snap due to metal fatigue at the point where the pearl is set......hmmmm
Thanks!

Perhaps have a wire frame supporting the pearl from below. Could you drill the entrance hole wider? Some nice thick wire would also be sturdier. Also, if the wire is thin steel or titanium wire, instead of gold, fatigue would be less of a problem. It could be telescoped into the gold bangle, so it doesn't show but adds strength to that problem area.

What length are they all strung together? If long enough I would make a strand with a nice big catch (maybe half and half gold/white gold or gold plated silver/silver depending on price point?) that is a feature itself so it can be worn to the front as a feature or to the back (or side if they are not graduated).

You could also maybe do two bracelets the like that (instead of necklace) and have some left for a pair. For earrings you could set a wee diamond in the lower drilled hole to cover it instead of one of those horrible cheap/after thought looking balls sticking out the end. Or even a diamond or other rubover set stone dangling below it.

Coincidentally I've actually just come on here to find a decent online/international wholesaler for flameballs as my local guy (who is usually awesome!) has gone a bit conservative and is only bringing in cheaper slightly pitted ones.

Last edited:
lol I can understand your shock...I thought I was reading it wrong (upside down in the store window) so I went inside and asked about the price of the Flameball strand in the window ... the salesman didn't know what I meant when I said Flameball ... so I said the Nucleated Freshwaters on the far left....so he grabbed a 8mm strand of Akoya ....noooooooooo not that strand...the one next to it.... (I knew now there was no point in asking him anything) . So I had a good look...creamy pondslime fireballs about 20mm with some pretty average surface areas and ok lustre. 1800$ ... as I went to the door he said...I can offer you 40% off..... geeeez

Back