Finding findings?

Chroman

When folks are hunting around for setting ideas, are there any favorite sources to browse?

I'm wrestling with how to set a pair of dangle earrings. While I certainly seem to have opinions, I haven't seen a ton of stock pieces I like. I'm hoping there might be a few more good vendor catalogs out there to browse through.

I've poked through the Rio Grande and GemPacked offerings, and a few other smaller sites whose names I don't recall. I think at this point I'm trying to sort out what goes in the catagories of "maybe" and "nope" - and theres lots that seem to fall into the latter!

If all else fails, there's always the option of brainstorming with some local jewlers and going the custom fab route. But at this point, I don't really have a good enough idea of what I'd want (or, really, the budget) for that.

Studs are so much easier :)

Chroman! Not sure where you live, but in NYC, Metalliferous is quite famous and lots of designers/art students go there. http://www.metalliferous.com
They have findings of every dimension/design/materials. I have a small stockpile of the basics from there (silver wires, ear hooks, spacer beads, crimping beads, soft flex, chains, etc), then I supplement from Etsy/eBay if I'm looking for something very specific.
I know lots of ladies on the west coast likes to go to Intergem.

Artbeads.com might be an option~these have CZ's

and these have gemstones

These are all simple settings, but would work for a pearl with a loop, whether wire wrapped or half drilled with a post & loop. I personally feel a simple setting with a pretty pearl dangling below is always in good taste.

Most all of these findings have open rings so very easy to insert the loop attaching your pearl and close. Many 14k earrings have similar type open rings; when closed properly the opening isn't noticeable at all.

I do use Rio Grande often, Stuller also and have been pleased with Artbeads.

Last edited:
Katbran, how do Artbead's prices in general compare with what you are used to paying? Artbeads also has some helpful tutorials.

I'm not sure how the shipping works for international.

It's good to be on the mailing list for any company that sells supplies; that way we get info for upcoming sales.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

I feel like I'm trying to navigate the area beyond a simple setting, but stopping short of full-on bling. The things that seem to be jumping out seem to be along the lines of:

PP's allure leverbacks
PP's eternal leverbacks
More pave leverbacks from CGM
Slightly less blingy unset leverbacks from Stuller (probably an arm and a leg in jeweler time though)
Huggies with a ring like these; Stuller again

While I also love the idea of the interchangeable huggie, it seems like those with a ring could take a much smaller eye loop on the pearl, which is also appealing.

Chroman- I quite like the Eternal Dangles...I like that the pearl can swing around - makes it a bit more eye catching I think. But depends on the ol budget !

Pattye - I use RegentCo here and they are mostly gold findings - some silver- diamonds etc. They have some beautiful things but none of them are on their web site. They compare more to Stuller than anywhere else I think..but with a larger range. . Their prices are better for me than Stuller...but always worth comparing..Stuller sometimes surprises me !

CGM was better for chain for me...but now that my dollar has gone down the toilet....grrrrrr and shippings not terrible..I just need to spend quite a bit to make it worth while. I was on Artbeads mailing list but then took them off with a lot of other people as the emails were getting ridiculous...I did mean to add them back on. . now you've reminded me. :) Like Rio they do a lot of tutorials that are good- I agree. Rio has great ones on all sorts of things from metal working to beading.

Last edited:
Chroman, lol, I'd consider those settings pretty much full on bling. Doubt you can beat PP for good price and quality. Like Katbran, I like the rounded shape of the Eternal Leverbacks. What kind of pearls are you planning to use?

Kat, I'll check out RegentCo today. Always fun to look around to see what's out there, but most fun in person. Agreed, CGM is good, too. Have also used Halstead. I've read that USPS will be raising their shipping prices in Jan, but don't know how much yet. I'm going to start a thread where we can list tutorial sources for "lowly beaders." your mention of Rio reminded me to do this, thank you!

Last edited:
Chroman, lol, I'd consider those settings pretty much full on bling. Doubt you can beat PP for good price and quality. Like Katbran, I like the rounded shape of the Eternal Leverbacks. What kind of pearls are you planning to use?

Kat, I'll check out RegentCo today. Always fun to look around to see what's out there, but most fun in person. Agreed, CGM is good, too. Have also used Halstead. I've USPS will be raising their shipping prices in Jan, but don't know how much yet. I'm going to start a thread where we can list tutorial sources for "lowly beaders." your mention of Rio reminded me to do this, thank you!

The big problem with Regent Co is that they have an enormous selection but almost nothing on their website . The have a beautiful 18t gold dangle with diamonds where each earring has two pearls ... not on website... but at the shows..the table is covered with earring findings. Bit frustrating. They also do a lovely range of convertible clasps in 18t with or without bling - it's their design ( tho all the designs seem to be push and turn...not sure how each is different to the other) ..nice smart looking modern clasps for pearls...and your dollar will help with the cost.
I like Halstead as well - nice chain selection... plus you don't have to buy 10 ft of something to see if you like it lol

pattye - Well, there doesn't seem to be a ton in between simple and bling, so I guess I'm erring on the blingy side :) This would be for a pair of 11-12 GSS drops.

I seem to waver back and forth on the Eternal vs Allure. Some days I like the graduation and less pave on the Allure. Other days I think that shape is too bulky and prefer the Eternal.

It's kind of hard to visualize without the stones, but the unset finding from Stuller also piqued my interest as potentially a bit more restrained on the bling spectrum. Could be though that its way too prongy in real life

So you don't have the drops yet? If you are going with the GSS drops then I like the movement even more. The swinging is an eye catcher for me. One possibility to to call PP and ask if they have a drilled drop (doesn't matter what type of pearl) in the size you want...maybe they could photograph the two styles on a 13mm drop so you can see what it looks like. Matching the finding to the pearl is always tricky. I always go to a gem show with a pocket of pearls I want to match up lol

Katbran -

I already have the drops (from the earlier GSS extravaganza), they're just undrilled and unset. They had two pairs of drops I couldn't decide between, so ordered both and have since returned one. I like your idea of trying them out via photos!

Third try's a charm, maybe.

The Stuller leverback takes .02ct diamonds, so it would possibly seem slightly more blingy than the PP Eternal setting with 11-.01ct diamonds each earring. I like the oval shape, but have also seen Allure in person and it is very pretty on. The focus will no doubt be on the luscious pearls, so I don't think you can go wrong.

Back