Favorite type of cultured pearl and why?

L

ladykemma

I'll go first. I prefer high quality akoya pearls because i love the metallic look of high luster pearls. I love the flashes of the pink/green shimmery orient and the metallic gun - metal shine. I can lose myself sitting at a traffic light staring myopically into the pearls until someone beeps their horn...

I have never seen in person gem quality freshwater pearls but would like to do so.

I do not like the look of low or high quality south sea pearls. I appreciate them for what they are, but the velvet textural quality to them does not appeal to my eye.

I would like to see abalone pearls, they seem very pretty in books. Tahitian pearls as well.

there was a pretty pair of coin shaped cultured pearls at TJ Maxx with the most orient i have ever seen on an inexpensive pair of dangly earrings. I will go back and get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Semi-baroque ones... because the shape feel 'natural' (despite the rational facts, somehow my instinct refuses to internalize perfectly round pearls). Also, because the wavy surface brings up orient and lustre (IMO, at least). You might be surprised by the South Sea baroques - they are much brighter than their round counterparts, I find.

Drops come second because of their use - more often as singles in a piece - rather than a whole strand. Jewelry with single (or few) pearls makes a strong reminder of natural pearls, and that makes them a favorite. Surely, there are strands of drop-shaped pearls, but they look a bit odd...

BTW. The coin pearls you have seen should have been freshwater, so you have already seen nice ones alright! Glad you liked them... Try coin studs, by all meas.. if there are any reasonable ones where the strand comes from. They make the most comfortable large pearl studs (16mm or so) I ever had on. Rounds always droop on my ears, even much smaller ones. These? Fit as if meant to be there ... Just great :cool:

Back