Famous Pearls of the World

mausketeer

Thank you for those links, I love to read the history of each piece.

Hi, thank you for the link but I have seen the list and I didn't find informations I was hoping to find there. For one month, I tried to find information on La Pelegrina and the Azra black pearl on the web but I only found one photo of these pearls and these informations repeated in many blog and websites:

La Pelegrina & the Azra black Pear of Catherine II

Until 1783 a famous necklace known as 'the Azra' was among the Russian crown jewels. It consisted of 110 perfectly matched pearls with a large round black pearl at the junction of the two ends from which, suspended from a diamond cross, was a great black pear shaped pearl of beautiful form and lusture known as 'the Azra'. Empress Catherine II gave it to her favourite Potemkin in 1783 and he bequeathed it to his niece, Princess Tatania Youssoupoff. Since then it has been handed down in the Youssupoff family who also acquired 'la pelegrina, which was formerly a part of the Spanish crown jewels. The two pearls were displayed together in the exhibition of Russian art held in London in 1935.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wSwJqZTONnU/TafF8SI_jnI/AAAAAAAAs6k/E6TL7EaL2TM/s400/Pelegrina%2526AzraBlackPearl.jpg

Does anyone know what happened to the Azra black pearl since 1935?

The same photo is in The Book of Pearls by Joan Younger Dickinson, Pg 81. Skimmed the pages but found mostly stuff on La Peregrina & La Pellegrina. & Their Histories Though I did not look that hard for more information.

Back