E-bay: Are these real or fake mabe pearls?

sm84

Just wondering if people think these are authentic mabe pearls or fake? The listing states AAA 20mm pearl set in sterling silver. This would be my first mabe pearls so I'm not sure how to tell if they're real or not.

Thanks for any help!

Pteria pearl 2

They look real, but this photo isn't the best to be sure. Are there more photos of the pearl, maybe from the side? Or with more of the pearl surface in focus? Thanks.

I'm wondering if the Chinese sellers are making any shell mabe "pearls"? The finding seems a bit downscale for a fine pearl-- e.g. silver beads to create the impression of diamonds.

What sort of backing is on the pearl? Is it mother-of-pearl?

Last edited:
This is the only other photo in the listing.
Pteria Pearl

This same seller also has these listed. Aren't these how mabe pearls look with more border? Both sets are about the same price.

Conch 1

I think they are real pearl material. The second kind is often called "blister pearls".
Be aware that if the seller has listed multiples of this item, the one you receive will likely not be the one in the photo.

JMO: You can do better.

Thanks for the honest feedback everyone! Any suggestions on where to buy mabe pearl earrings? So far I've seen them at very few places and they are $400 or more which is out of my price range.

You might do better buying a pre-owned item; many jewelers list these estate pieces on eBay.

Back