Difference between AAA and Freshadama

PerfectPearls

Community member
I was thinking that I'd like a longer strand such as 26-30 inches, and only the AAA are stocked in the longer lengths. I know I can have a longer strand made of Freshadamas, but then they probably couldn't be returned if for any reason I didn't like them. I just wondered if the difference is really visible (and worth the extra cost). One other issue is that you can choose the overtone on the Freshadamas and you can't on the AAA strands. I want very white pearls and not cream. Would there be a difference in the color between Freshadama and AAA?
Thanks for your help!

Overtone is a colour visible over the basic colour of the pearl. Real pearls should generally not be very white - they may have been over-bleached. Pearls should look white until you place them against a sheet of white paper, then they will look not white-white.

Oh yes, the difference between AAA and Freshadama is visible. Surface imperfection is only visible at close range. However, Freshadamas are rounder than AAAs, and the lustre is more glassy than AAAs.

When I asked for a double Freshadamas to be made, I requested silver overtone, and they appear rose silver to my untrained eyes. However, they suit my skin tone perfectly, so I am very happy :D Please bear in mind that the custom order was a very rush job, and Jeremy did an excellent job in matching the pearls given he had very little time to do it, thank you Jeremy! :D

Whether the differences justify the extra cost, it depends on individual circumstances, e.g. budget, future purchasing plan etc...

If I were to purchase a single longer strand, I would want the biggest pearls affordable for visual impact. Therefore, I would opt for AAA or even AA+ :)

You can try and ask the team at PP to find a longer AAA strand with silver overtone for you from their extensive stock. You could also ask about whether a custom strand of Freshadamas can be returned before you make the purchase. The team at PP is very helpful and is used to loads of questions from their customers :)

Good luck with your purchase :)

DK :)

yeah, to second these guys, you CAN pick the color/overtones of AAA pearls...you just have to ask the vendor over the phone or on your order form!

on the pearl paradise online order form, for instance, you can use the ''special intructions'' field to make a body color/overtone request. I did, and I got exactly what I wanted. (indeed, my color request was highlighted on the printout they sent me!)

In general the AAA grade also is choseable with PP. Under the picture of the necklace you should see 3 boxes with choices for "rose", "silver" or "ivory" overtone.

Bodycolour is white. Good luck and let us see the result later on.

Thank you all! I will definitely post pictures whenever I order! All I have are earrings so far, but that showed me how beautiful fw pearls can be!

Thank you all! I will definitely post pictures whenever I order! All I have are earrings so far, but that showed me how beautiful fw pearls can be!

I doubt if I would buy a strand of Hanadamas even if money is no object, as they do not represent good value for money to me, not when one can have top quality CFWP at a fraction of the price!

At one time I posted pictures and a comparison of a AAA strand and a Freshadama strand. Here is the link to the thread (if it works) with the comparison photos...

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/freshwater-pearls/2200-aaa-freshadama-freshwater-elite-etc.html

Since that time I have come to another realization in the AAA vs. Freshadama debate. If you can tell your pearl vendor (I dislike that term because it depersonalizes the whole experience...Pearl Consultant?) which of the pearl grade-defining qualities is most important to you, you will get the strand that best suits you. For example, I recently purchased a 10.5 to 11.5 mm freshwater strand. The most important qualities to me, for this size, were roundness and luster. They looked through the stock and found the perfect strand, which turned out to be AA+ or AAA. On that large size pearl, the tiny blemishes really do not detract from the strand's suitability for me.

I took some updated photos of the three strands together to demonstrate and help your decision-making process. Post to follow.

Photos taken. The closest, smallest size pearls are the AAA. The center strand is the Freshadama, and the farthest strand is the AA+/AAA. Keep in mind please that the colors of these strands were specifically requested to complement my skin tone, so if you prefer silver just ask- we did this for my mother-in-law last year and they were stunning.

Apologies for the shadows & such, but there is a large green Christmas tree blocking the 75% of the light coming in the window where I took the photo.

Attachments

• P1180152Sized.jpg
    P1180152Sized.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 86
I should be extra clear that all the photographed strands are freshwater...

Thanks, E Curley! That was a helpful thread. Sorry I didn't find it in my browsing the forum. I look forward to seeing the additional pictures!

You were posting the picture as I was posting! Those are beautiful! I can't say that I can tell the difference in a picture, but I think I'd go with the best I could afford just to get all the best features! It seems that watching the specials would be a smart way to go. Thanks again!

Dear Perfect Pearls:
Isn't retail therapy fun? I would have to agree with Dkan in every detail...except one. I have discovered that I am not happy if the pearls are big but not shiny or the shapes do not please my eye. They don't have to be round, I love baroques and even rice if very shiny or unique in some other way. I'm okay with a soft shine on a nice pearl, they don't have to look like ball bearings, but:

I would purchase a smaller more perfect strand over a larger possibly duller one every time. (Dkan, no offense intended, I have loved every one of your pearls as pictured. This is a theory.)

I bought a AA+ last year and was miserably unhappy with it. Fortunately for me it was from PP and they graciously took it back and exchanged it for something I was ecstatic with.

PP has gem quality too! They cost a bit less than Freshadama, are a little less orienty, but great color and shine. Round too if that's important to you. Give them a call and see what they say. They have tons of stuff not on the website. You just have to know what you want in order to ask about it.

Last thing: You wanted a necklace that is longer. Purchase the set of necklace and bracelet and have them strung together. Then you get matching earrings and you can ask the vendor if it could be returned if absolutely necessary.

Good luck and Happy New Year,
barbie

Last edited:
"Gem Quality CFWPs from 3 vendors"

Dkan posted pics of some of these a while back if you want to search this post.

barbie

PS You know what I'm having trouble getting this from running a search. If you want to see the necklaces just go to forums, then find the article listed above and look at the pics. They are great.

Barbie, thank you for your comments! I think I am like you in that I'd want the most perfect pearls in a smaller size. I'll check out that thread!

Barbie,

I love baroques too in a strand, and am eyeing a nice strand of freshwater pillows in 12x8mm, the first strand of pillows that appeal to my eyes :D

I would love a big strand of SS baroques one day too, and none of the current offers on PP appeal to me :rolleyes:

So I too am rather fussy about shapes :)

Dkan:
I would like a nice strand of WSS's someday myself. I say I don't like PPB's but you can't deny the shine of SS's is something else, hey?

I noticed on another thread, "A Beader's Special", everybody was talking about the mixed white colors being pretty. I have to agree with this. Care Ehret has some pretty white strands in multi-tones. But I'd like one at least 22 inches long. Maybe 32. I love the 22KG spacers.

Will you post a pic of those pillows you mentioned? They sound yummy.

barbie

Barbie,

Here it is:

Silver CFW Pillows :D

I am resisting from making a purchase big time, as I really must concentrate on saving up for a nice strand of round Tahitians :)

However, I am weak when it comes to jewellery :eek: :p :D

Back