Deep golden south sea pearl

Sea Urchin

So, how hard is it to get a really deep dark delicious golden south sea pearl, for a ring? Can you just request it and that's it, or do you usually have to pay more, or just forget it, or what? Also, are they easier to come by in any particular sizes? Or maybe they're not as hard to get as I think they are? Thanks. :D

Also, for those who are familiar with them, what particulars do you like, like overtone, etc.?

I think you need to firm up your specification - what size? what exact colour? surface quality? lustre? ballpark price limit?
I assume you want half drilled

I wanted to get it on a plain band ring like Pearl Paradise has, because I have little diamond band rings to wear with it. I'd like to stay under $1,000, for the whole thing, which over there, I think would get me 12-13 mm, if there isn't a premium for a special pearl. On the rest, all I know is I like dark, but I don't know what else to call it. I would like highest luster. Surface quality very good too unless it can be hidden. I don't know what the different overtones look like. :)

Also, you know something, I have not seen many rings on here, compared to the other types of jewelry. Isn't that strange?

Thanks.

I don't know where you are but if you like the Pearl Paradise finding, then go with that one, and they will, I am sure, be able to find you the right pearl.
I make lots of rings (check website)..Indeed I can feel a bit of a ring making mood coming upon me.....need to get some gold and silver first....

I wanted to get it on a plain band ring like Pearl Paradise has, because I have little diamond band rings to wear with it. I'd like to stay under $1,000, for the whole thing, which over there, I think would get me 12-13 mm, if there isn't a premium for a special pearl. On the rest, all I know is I like dark, but I don't know what else to call it. I would like highest luster. Surface quality very good too unless it can be hidden. I don't know what the different overtones look like. :)

Also, you know something, I have not seen many rings on here, compared to the other types of jewelry. Isn't that strange?

Thanks.

Sea Urchin, kindred spirit, why just a while I ago I lamented the same thing :) I'm weird in the sense I like my pearls on ears and fingers, not necks. So a while back I cajoled everyone to submit pictures of their pearl rings to this thread. Please browse and let's share ideas on pearl rings either on that thread or on a new one. And I'm expecting some new 'old' rings in a week, with tiny diamonds. I'm thrilled and I'd be sure to share. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5499&p=86031&highlight=pearl+ring+bling#post86031

Real deep golden can be rare, unless you don't mind enhanced one (saw many of them and I personally thought they looked stunning). And usually with deep gold, the luster isn't as sharp as the lighter one. But there's always good ones that have both color and the luster, just need to look for it.

Lot of golden pearls - mixed grade (natural color).
somegoldenpearls.jpg

The one I picked.
goldenpearl.jpg

Last edited:
No, that one is natural color, a bit hard to find. Sorry I wasn't being clear, I edited the post now.

This pair below is enhanced golden pearls. I asked the seller but she didn't know what kind of treatment that had been done to the pearls. She just said something about Japanese method...
IMG_6902.jpg

Last edited:
It can be difficult to tell enhanced apart from natural gold. One thing to look for is the "fingerprint" effect, but that can be difficult to really explain without examples. Another thing to look for is intense, 24k saturation (burnt orange). This is the most valuable of all golden colors and extremely rare so they are very expensive. If you go to a show and see strand after strand at price points for your typical golden colors, you can bet they are enhanced. That being said, I haven't come across a seller of enhanced that didn't disclose the enhancement. It is possible to tell with close examination, so it makes sense that they would disclose it. Once the strand reaches the retail market, however, it could be a different story. There it would really come down to the ethics of the retailer.

Another thing to note is that the deep, golden 24k color saturation has a look all its own. Unfortunately there are sellers out there who will refer to all their golds, even strands that are clearly light yellow, as golden South Sea pearls with 24k saturation.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jeremy, for provinding the examples and the education!

- Karin

Yes, thanks, great info. :)

Thanks, everyone.

Perlinda, is that golden pearl and also the one in your avi, about 12 mm?

From playing with other pearls I have, real and fake, I think 12mm is about the size I'd want. I have kind of big hands, and want it to show up well but not too be over the top. Does that sound about right?

So, I am wondering if I'd be better off to just go with a white south seas. The few purchases I've made (all freshwater), I always like the whites but the colors have just been very tricky. It's probably a few months away anyway, but I live in Houston, and am not aware of anywhere I could go that has a large selection of pearls to see in person.

Do you all think it's much harder to find "the right" golden pearl than "the right" white one?

Also, does anyone know of a pearl shop or pearl show for Houston? Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
The golden pearl is 11.7mm and the one in my avi is an oval 14x16mm. I think pearl around 12mm will make quite a showy ring but not over the top (I've seen people with 15mm and above pearl ring). If you like golden pearl, then go with it. But I do think golden pearls are tricky because of many different shades of gold SSP can have.

Adeline, yes it's quite hard to notice the difference between natural and enhanced color of golden south sea pearls. I knew they were treated because the color was a bit too uniform in the lot I saw, and the seller also confirmed it. I'm not a "pearl purist", so I don't mind treated pearls as long as the information is disclosed (chocolate pearls are fun!). Tomorrow I'm gonna check a trade fair (there will be lots of pearls), wanna see more of these enhanced vs natural color golden SSP. My auntie has also requested me to find the "right" golden pearl for her.

Also thank you Jeremy for the informations!

Back