Dawn's Pearls

Thanks for recording your collection of past pieces and odds and ends! What a collection, I hope you record it all here once it's sold, esp. I find I miss the ones that leave your store and would like to see them remembered here....

this is the best thread! dawn, i love your finds, your photos, your designs! and now i really love everything in your shop. those blue akoyas are calling to me....

WOW! Pearls and dogs! My favorite choice! Amazing Awesome jewelry! Thanks!

Hello All, thanks for your kind words about my present and past pieces. Not all naturals but a good percentage are. Pity I cannot get to keep all the things I love but that is not possible.

Anyway here are some more pearls - these are naturals which I sold to a lovely Indian lady about 3 years ago. The necklaces are at least 22 inches, more like 24" as she wanted to wear them with her Sari. So 3 or 4 necklaces to make two. They were a real labour of love. The smaller pearl necklace has a 6mm app. pearl in the centre and as it had large drill hole we could not knot it so added some beautiful little 22kt gold granulated beads to make it possible. The lady wanted a larger pearl in the centre. So these necklace were commission pieces and took ages to get just right for her. She took them on holidays to wear in India and loves them even more than she thought she would. Wish I could have kept one :(

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 46
Whoa that is one cool necklace, or should I say 4 cool necklaces made into one.

Very interesting that your clientele for these naturals are often people from India, guess they appreciate the treasures that come from nearby locales.

While I understand that P-G is a non-commercial and educational site, I'd be very interested to know what you think the current wholesale value would be on a double strand of naturals like those if you were to sell them through a public auction site today vs what you sold them for 3 years ago.

I'm certain they will have gone up in value substantially in the last three years.

I also suspect naturals are "trending" with quite a way to go upwards yet. I think in another 3 years we'll look back at today's prices and wish we'd bought everything we could lay our hands on.

Hi Paul,

I just looked at the photos again and remembered that the longest necklace had at least 7mm pearls in front so the smaller necklace must have at least an 8mm pearl in the centre. None were tiny seed pearls and all a good size. I remember I didn't really want to put such a large pearl in the centre and had to go through every pearl I had to find a suitable one. It had to be good enough to stand out like that. No blending in when in the middle and surrounded by gold.

The lady said for me to add a couple of round 18kt gold beads which I had but I wouldn't use them. Told her it would look wrong and that the granulated beads were the only ones I felt would suit. Not often one refuses to add the beads a customer says to put in but I felt it would ruin the look of a necklace I could take pride in, so said no. "Trust me to do it right." Artistic rights :)

Luckily I have the photos but lost my notes on them (I think) when I had computer crashes on rotten HP PCs. So details about those 2 necklaces is just coming back. They are two necklaces as she wanted them that way but I think they go beautifully together.

I agree there is no way I would sell them now for what I did then. We will only regret the natural pearls we did NOT buy not the ones we did buy. Have often found that is the way of things. I actually worked on them for a couple of months all up. Nothing else just those necklaces. I had to match sizes and colour as much as possible and still get the length and look she wanted. Wasn't easy.

Some of my natural pearl customers do come from India but others are Indians living in other countries and of course not only Indian people appreciate Arabian Gulf pearls but by far they appreciate them the most. Most also know what they are looking at and have a good knowledge about them too.

I have sent pearls all over the world and jade back to China.

I suppose the market sets the price on them but I do check out other sites that sell naturals, such as Kari and others. I try to work out how mine compare re: size, shape, lustre, condition and so on and allow for the fact that at the moment I don't have certificates and then that I am selling on eBay rather than an elite site. Things to take into account seem endless.

Oh bye the way, you mentioned that one of my natural necklaces was a bargain and I think Caitlin did too and I have been considering pulling the sale off of that one. It really is dirt cheap. Had someone want it last night but on the never, never which at that price would be hard. I have done lay-bys before but don't really like to or not for too long. So I am rethinking it and will probably list another one that I could sell for that price or even a little cheaper, maybe :)

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

oh, those two necklaces for the lady in India are LOVELY! what a labor of love those must have been - and i hope that you got your 3 years ago money's worth! absolutely lovely.

Dawn,
They are quite beautiful.
In the formal English riding attire, we use the pins that are designed to be worn horizontally, They go across the large, thick stock ties. Frequently they look like an over-size safety pin. The stock ties are very long and wrap around the neck many times. Out foxhunting, they are used as emergency bandages for man and beast, and the stock pin is used to pin the tie in place if it can't be knotted. Another stock pin design looks like a hunt whip, with the lash wrapped around the stick. The most correct is just the plain gold or silver pin. However, we normally use the fancier ones for competition, or less strict occasions. Many of us use stock pins with our regular street clothes, too.

What is the difference between stick pins, hat pins, and tie pins? Do some have caps for the points? What about something to hold feathers to a hat?

Hi juliebeth,

Thank you. I think they are special too, naturally and so did the lady. I do think she got a bargain though.

whicker, thank you for the information about riding attire. I must look up photos of ladies dressed in riding red. As far as stick pins I think that might be a sort of generic term for all pins. I believe tie pins were generally for men as they did like to dress up too. They come in so many different styles and yes sometimes they have caps but they often don't seem to survive to today. Hat pins are much, much bigger as they obviously need to be to do their jobs. I don't have any hat pins and suppose all of mine would be classed as tie pins. Hat pins are collected though and if you wanted some I am sure you would find them in an antique store, local opportunity shop or eBay. They are generally costume jewellery but somewhere out there must be some high end ones. I am not sure what type of pin would be used to hold feathers on a hat but am sure someone here would.

I started my collection for the pearls and the hope that they would be natural pearls. Most of mine are but they can be cultured too depending on the age. I do have a lot more and must take photos of them one day. Some I have removed the pearls from and used the gold to make clasps. That does not always work as the gold may be too hard so they just break. Others we have had success with. Does anyone know how to soften gold? Making soft gold hard is not hard but the other way round??

I think pins are very versatile jewellery and can be worn out virtually anywhere.

I am including a photo of an amazing pin that recently sold on eBay. I lusted after it but could not afford it even though it went for a bargain price for what it is. It would look amazing worn to the most high end occasion and is obviously for a lady of wealth. I have never seen anything like it before. Mine are dowdy by comparison. I did not ask permission to use these photos but feel sure Hess Fine Antiques would not object as long as photos are uncut and their name is mentioned.

Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-1...-Cut-Diamond-Baroque-Pearl-Pin-/390704787465?

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 46
Hi, a few more photos for tonight. Photos of natural pearl necklaces or strands I have bought in the past. Most have these have been restrung and either listed and sold and some not sold as yet. Still a couple to be restrung. You may notice that some from these photos need cleaning and some have only adequate clasps. These I naturally restring to a length more suitable for ladies today in our modern world and put better clasps on. I generally use better antique clasps that I have purchased from a private source. Hope you enjoy the photos and please let me know if you want more.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• 2 2.jpg
    2 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 2.jpg
    3 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 11aa.jpg
    11aa.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 11ab.jpg
    11ab.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 43
  • a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 33
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 36
A few more before I work on Lily's Story. Need to list on eBay tomorrow so trying to get this done although I will try to find more time to go on with the 3rd Instalment of Lily's Story tomorrow and more photos if I have time. Sort of rushing the photos at the moment and they may be mixed up and not in order. :(

These are working photos not ready for display but this way you get to see natural pearls prior to them being ready to sell.

Enjoy.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 35
  • a12.jpg
    a12.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 42
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 40
Hi Dawn, wow love those clasps, the one with the 3 diamonds is amazing and they look like nice pearls, ditto the one with the sapphire.

You sure have a lot of naturals!

I have been watching Dawn collect natural pearls for almost 5 years now. An amazing shopper, she is usually spot on when she buys- a skill that was not easy to acquire. This is still a risky sport, but if they have been through her hands, the likelihood is they are natural- if not, she will take them back so you do not bear the risk and can get a good price. I just think after 5-6 years of being very quiet, never pushy, about her wares, I am so glad to see the interest in her collection on the part of so many people. If you want something special, in the past on this forum, she has offered to shop for people for special things to watch out for when she shops for herself. So contact her if you are looking for something antique esp.

Thanks Caitlin,

I will be starting work on my 2 strand Natural Arabian Pearl necklace in the next couple of days and will post photos when it is finished - a lot of them as you asked. Still have a few more pieces to add to the thread. I actually intended to add to the Candling thread last night as I have a set up all ready and a microscope arrived although I have not used it yet as part of my set up. But I did take photos with a camera. Problem was I got carried away working on Lily's Story and then on other threads and emails.

Ran out of time and now energy as I have not slept yet. My brain is closing down big time.

Paul, I will have to take some photos of my loose clasps and add them. I do have some nice ones.

Dawn - Bodecia

I think pins are very versatile jewellery and can be worn out virtually anywhere.

I am including a photo of an amazing pin that recently sold on eBay. I lusted after it but could not afford it even though it went for a bargain price for what it is. It would look amazing worn to the most high end occasion and is obviously for a lady of wealth. I have never seen anything like it before. Mine are dowdy by comparison. I did not ask permission to use these photos but feel sure Hess Fine Antiques would not object as long as photos are uncut and their name is mentioned.

Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-1...-Cut-Diamond-Baroque-Pearl-Pin-/390704787465?

Dawn - Bodecia

Oh this pin just takes my breath away it is so beautiful! Lucky is the lady who gets to wear it! Thanks for sharing :cool:

Just gorgeous, my two favourites are the baroquey ones with the push-barrel clasps, especially the first one. Wonderful lustre. Thank you for taking the time to put up the pictures in this thread...I look forward to its continuation!!

Oh Dawn! Thank you so much for posting all these photos! What a great resource!

Jodie

Back