Damage???

TXPearlLV

As a teacher I am required to wear my ID badge somewhere on my person. Traditionally I wore it on a Brighton chain lanyard. Now I want to start wearing my pearls more at work. Is it safe to wear my pearl strands with the lanyard?

I also have to wear an ID badge to work, but I hate lanyards. I really don't want two competing things around my neck.

I have one of those clips with a retractable string, and my id badge in a clear pouch at the end of it.

I clip it either on my waistband or beltloop, or to the side of my collar or neckline away from my necklaces. If I wore a jacket I would clip it to a top pocket or wear it around the collar and the pearls around my neck.

If you look at the Show Us Your Pearls thread, you may see photos of me with my ID badge that might give you ideas.

As long as your lanyard is soft fabric, it won't hurt the pearls, but I wouldn't wear them with a metal lanyard. Although many people do wear gold chains and pearls and no harm done, but gold chains are usually very fine and gold is a soft metal. I think a Brighton lanyard would have a much heavier, harder metal chain, and I wouldn't mix it with pearls, but there may be ways to wear both if you are wearing a collar (lanyard outside the collar and pearls inside the collar).

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing...I just have a whistle, keys, and my badge so it gets a bit heavy for the retractable clip. Might have to lose the whistle for pearls. ;)

I'm supposed to wear a lanyard at work, but as it generally doesn't work with my outfits (and since I also have to carry a key and a fob, I hate all of that clanking around), I skip it ;) That's terrible advice, though. BWeaves' suggestion is a good one, retractable lanyards are great.

Or if you wanted to get really fancy you could make yourself a pearl lanyard with a dog clip.

Back