Crowned Whelk Pearl Thread

I see the gold whelk shells, Is the salmon colored part enamal or is it from a whelk shell?

If the pearls is around 7mm, how big does it make the pin? or pendent.

I think the piece looks like 1950's. It reminds me of Persian Melon Lipstick

PearlFinderCharles Background :)

PearlFinderCharles Background :)

I see the gold whelk shells, Is the salmon colored part enamal or is it from a whelk shell?

If the pearls is around 7mm, how big does it make the pin? or pendent.

Thank you Caitlan...:)

A1: I am discussing the size,stones and materials that will be used on this project with my Jeweler.
A2: This piece shown is only an idea of what i want to do, and is the closest thing to what i'm looking for as of now. To make the pearl visible enough, i'll have to make adjustments. I can promise you, when this Pearl is set into my design, it will be breathtaking !:D
A little background on me, if it's ok :)
I was brought up making jewelry with my mom,sister,brothers at home. We did piece work assembling jewelry for Trifari,Sarah Coventry,JJ,Coro and a few other Costume Jewelry businesses back in the early 70's. I also do work on jewelry now....Here are some of my jewelry pieces.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff270/PearlfinderCharles/Oyster Pearl/FrogLoversPainted.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff270/PearlfinderCharles/Oyster Pearl/WheelBarrel.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff270/PearlfinderCharles/Oyster Pearl/GaedeningTools.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/...les/Oyster Pearl/GothicPurpleWingedDragon.jpg

I play guitar and sing, was recently with a band but things didn't pan out. I'm getting a new one together..I love music !
I am a Flooring Installer with 30yrs experience. I love Photography.I also do Snake Taxidermy,though it's been 3 years since my last. Make furniture in the summer, when i can. Snorkel diving, when weather permits. I love to piddle the imagination, and think beyond and outside the Box. I have a Patent Pending on a designer item....that is my other discovery. Maybe i talk to much, but the more open a person is, the more understanding there is. So here you have it, the me that i am...oh yea, i do like fun !

You all will be the 1'st to know of what i end up making, that's a Promise !
PearlFinderCharles

Last edited:
PearlFinderCharles said:
It will look similar to this picture.....

No matter what I would be looking for... since I'm not buying.

If I were selling it, I'd be looking for a more up to date design.

Certainly, there is nice beach jewelry in the price range I would imagine you are aiming at. Just not sure where this look fits in. Now, I don't know what works in the local market wherever that is.

Just an opinion.

Thank you Valeria.
I just figured it would look good here and depict where it came from ( A Whelk ). I didn't consider it "beachy". Your input is very appreciated. Any Idea's ? Please let me know....I want to get this going as soon as i can :)

PearlFinderCharles said:
Valeria... Any Idea's ?

One that doesn't cost anything: LINK

The only caveat for such a thing is that you need to have a bench jeweler's approval of whatever design proposed and approximate quotes.

Otherwise, where are you going to show the piece of jewelry? I would think of a pendant. Possibly usable as pearl enhancer. I think this pearl would appeal to just a few who already have their pearl staples in hand, even as collectors.

With no precise selling venue/form in mind, I'd bet on something similar to that first pendant I posted. Perhaps less intricate and made at a good, but less rarefied venue. There's a huge range of cost and quality for micro-pave these days.

I'm still convinced this will rather sell loose. And that it would take a while no matter what.

Just a thought. I don't have experience selling rare pearls. None at all. I just have some idea how jewelry is considered by buyers - something the reputation of a jewelry freak and armchair 'expert' will get ya'. So take anything I might write with ALLOT of salt. Or not at all.

PearlFinderCharles said:
I just figured it would look good here and depict where it came from ( A Whelk ).

I like that too. Would just go differently about it. And make sure that the shell represented looks like a whelk, not conch like those or anything else.

Now, I'm not sure this is the right season...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back