Valeria101

No joke this time...

8 x 10mm Drops

24cts Melo

Small Conch

Non-nacreous white

Tridacna

Woven seed pearl parure

Seed Rope where a couple more in-kind reside.

Tennessee - one of several

... and no comment on price.

Why this post? Of course, what you see is the same I do (no insider knowledge) - wanted to share examples of what I found credible.

To date, I have only found two 'bargains' that I did not however buy: a rope of seed pearls much like the one above (in need of restringing) w.o reserve that went for about $400 in the end, and a couple of pearls claimed to be self-collected - very inexpensive, sold by a shop specializing in shells, looking like nothing cultured (round, smallish, orange, likely non-nacreous). And that is pretty much it.

Without any impressive real-world flea market at hand, I enjoy browsing Ebay: the exercise makes an entertaining 'reality show' :)

If I find better or at least debatable, I'll most likely post - no buying competition on this chapter from my part. Besides, a true find would really make news and provide a thrill beyond what buying pearl can ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Valeria!

My, my those are some very interesting finds you got there! :cool:
I particularly like the Edwardian-era dangle earrings with old mine-cut diamond accents! The bezel settings look original, although the seller mentioned having the posts redone. The pearls, though! :eek:

Many thanks for the images, and the excellent hunting!

PS- I also love the Conch pearl! :p

I really took a shine to these rare pearls because of flame-structure, the optical properties are mesmerizing! I just wish there was a more focused picture of that beauty so we could get a better idea of the quality...

No comment on the prices, indeed! They're certainly out of this world; seriously collectors with significant dough will shell it out for these babies. Can't say I'm too fond of any of them besides the earrings but they are interesting ;) Good find.

Mandy said:
... Can't say I'm too fond of any of them besides the earrings ...

There are more desirable natural pearls, sure that. Wouldn't expect otherwise from FleaBay. There are far to few fine pearls around for 'forgotten treasures' :eek: The list makes a goody cross-section of what attainable natural options look like. 'Guess these were the options that nucleated cultured pearls competed with to win their place. :cool:

IMO, as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back