could use other's opinions on this strand...

funky_pearl

....so this very lovely necklace popped up on an antique and estate jewelers website i follow and i'm both in love with it and confused as to what kind of pearls they are. here's the link to the necklace:

http://www.abrandtandson.com/collec...ng-double-strand-pearl-necklace-diamond-clasp

i contacted them with a few questions. i asked what kind of pearls they are since it doesn’t mention anything the listing. if it's a victorian era (c.1880 it says in listing) necklace to my understanding cultured pearls aren’t around yet at all? i asked if they had any documentation from the gia and they said no and that they were selling them as "cultured" pearls.
i'd love anyone’s thoughts or opinions on the strand. :)
...i'm thinking maybe the clasp is older and the pearls are very early akoya? i really dont know.

yes,very beautiful and very confusing to me, lol! i would feel weird spending that much on a strand and not knowing what kind of pearls they are at all. i emailed them and she didn’t mention akoya, and said they were being sold as "cultured".....

i'm sad it went sooooo quick but that’s the risk of posting it! i really hope some people here who know much more about pearls then me can offer some options cause i'm still curious! :confused:

I agree with the early akoya assessment, but I think the diamond part of the clasp is a really good repro, there's just something about it that pings my "off" bells.

I agree with the early akoya assessment, but I think the diamond part of the clasp is a really good repro, there's just something about it that pings my "off" bells.

That's where the UK's hallmarking system comes through. It dates any precious metal exactly.

That's a lovely necklace. Too bad it was long gone by the time I saw this post. On the other hand, that might be a good thing.

Weren't natural akoyas originally kind of a greenish yellow color? And they either got bleached, or bred, or both to go whiter?

Sorry I picked this up so late. Just can't pass up. White gold wasn't around until well into 20th century. If there was a UK hallmark they would know what date it was exactly, so probably no hallmark. Also a yellow gold clasp with a white gold inlay top set with Old Miners is probably gold with platinum, as platinum was not considered a prescious metal in the 1880's and so would not have been hallmarked anyhow. So, it was either an old clasp with akoya pearls from a later time or the pearls were natural (wow, what a deal).

Back