Color graduated Vietnamese Akoya pearls-a possibility?

suzannelowrie

To continue talking about the color-graduated pink Akoya pearls that I saw on Mikimoto's island, the reason they were so so impressive was the stunning work in color graduation. Sure, the strand started out as very bright pink pearls in the middle, but the pink pearls faded in color very gently- there were (perhaps) 16 or more different shades of pink. The colors unfolded gracefully like a fan. Who can produce such a wonderful necklace? Someone who controls production and can hire one person to comb through the harvest and color grade the pink pearls, setting aside sixteen (or more) different plastic boxes and gradually filling them over time with AAA rounds in different tones. I'll be in Vietnam July 22 through July 26. I will ask if the yellow AAA round Akoya pearls could be color graded. Nobody wants them. No market. Maybe, just maybe, they would look nice if they were color-graduated. Of course, the CEO will laugh in my face. Think of the labor involved! But, I'll argue the point. Is he selling any? Dying them black? Dying them chocolate? What a waste. The color is beautiful if you can get used to the idea. Well, we grasp lavendar, black, silver, chocolate, golden, French blue-gray (barely), apricot (hardly) why not daffodil yellow? What's my interest? I look GREAT in yellow. OK, I've confessed.
If the Vietnamese can make the necklace (at a reasonable price) I'll post a photo in late July.

What shade of yellow? Why don't people like them? Are they not flattering? Aren't some SS goldens more of a creamy yellow? People still buy those.

Great idea, Suzanne,
I love the idea of natural yellow, or golden pearls. I think I look good in the golden SS strand I have. (Although I have admitted freely I buy what I like and wear it, no matter whether I think it looks good on me or not.) I usually wear goldens with a mustardy linen blouse. An ombred strand would be fabulous! Hope they can do it for you. The goldens and yellows certainly add pizzazz in a multi color strand.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Back