Cleaning the pearls

C

Charles

The pearls that I wrote about earlier seem to be dull and have a sort of 'gunk' on them. I am sure that this is because they are so old. How can I go about cleaning them? I am worried because I am afraid that they may be delicate. How can they be cared for after I clean them to make sure that they last?

Re: Cleaning

Re: Cleaning

I would strongly suggest staying away from any solutions or chemicals for those pearls. Because the pearls are old the nacre may already be damaged. This damage is irreversible and can become worse while attempting to fix it.
The best thing is a very soft damp cloth. The moisture is good for the pearls.

Pearls should not be stored in an airtight environment, and they should be stored separate from other jewelry to protect them. Pearls are delicate and will not last forever like diamonds if they are not properly cared for.
Because pearls are organic matter they need moisture to maintain their appearance. Without moisture pearls will begin to lose their luster, and the nacre will be come very brittle.
When wearing pearls it is also very important to remember not to spray perfume, hairspray, or any other cosmetics on or near the pearls. These can immediately destroy a nice set of pearls.

Pearl Cleaning and Care

Pearl Cleaning and Care

Hello:

Cultured pearls are relatively soft compared to other gemstones and precious metals. So it is important to take special care of your pearls to ensure they will remain bright and beautiful for generations to come.
Cosmetics, perfume, and hair spray all contain chemicals that can dull the lustre of a pearl over extended periods of time. Even acids contained in body oils and perspiration can damage lustre in the same way.
It is best to put your pearls on after applying make up, perfume and hair spray. Wiping the pearls with soft damp cloth after you wear them will ensure that they remain free from any harmful build up of these compounds. Periodically, the pearls should be washed with mild soap, or one of the Blitz Pearl cleaning product in our Jewelry care product Gallery.
Always keep the pearls separated from hard jewelry items, such as metals and other gemstones, to prevent them from scratching the pearls. Pearls are best kept in a soft cloth or separately lined jewelry box.
It is best to take the pearls to a jewelers for stringing about once every year to prevent strand breakage. Silk thread is the best choice to restrung pearls. However nylon thread is also acceptable. Make sure that the string is knotted between each pearl. Individual knotting prevent all the pearls in a strand from falling off if a break occur. Knotting also prevent the pearls from rubbing against each other.
Do not store pearls in a safety deposit box for Long period of time. Pearls contain small traces of water, so it is unwise to store them in such a dry environment for very long time. This condition may cause the pearls to loose their moisture; and therefore loose their lustre. Pearls worn frequently retain their moisture by absorbing it from the air or from a person body.

I hope this will help you to clean your pearl. You may also purchase a special pearl jewelry cleaner. Make sure you read and understand the cleaning instruction on the product label. Your Local Jewelers is the best place for finding one. I also recommend one Call "Blitz Delicate Gem & Pearl Jewelry Cleaner". Good Luck.
The Jewelry Hut

Back