Cigar Box

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
Has anyone (other than me) considered a wooden cigar box or humidor an appropriate pearl jewelry box? Why couldn't it work?

knotty panda said:
Why couldn't it work?

The story goes that the silk thread will sag way sooner if wet-ish. Now, the synthetic threads may not react at all.

What is the humidity in a humidor box? Is that comparable with a real-world climate? Would it be the same for pearls as for cigars? :D

I am not sure the pearls do need it everywhere, although the idea of pampering pearls this way sounds very, very neat :cool:

I thought, but then, what do I know, that humidors had humidity settings. But, good question, what setting do pearls like? The silk is expendable.

Hi Knotty,
You know, it seems a brilliant idea.
Am looking at humidors as I type and there are all kinds of possibilities.
From small cigar boxes up to huge cabinets......:D
And it looks like the humidity can be regulated / adjusted too.
I hope one of the experts comes here to comment.

My violin case has a hygrometer-- I wonder if I should be storing my pearls in there? Perhaps Fred (my violin) would enjoy the company... :D

Perhaps Fred (my violin) would enjoy the company...
Love it!

Knottess dear,
Bless your over-active imagination, I think you are onto something. It may take a little research, but the principle is excellent.

Ana,
The silk will stretch no matter what. That is the nature of silk, especially mono-filiment silk. This could be a real boon for silk worms and knottesses.

The point really should not be to conserve the silk, it should be that anyone can knot an overhand knot.

Plain silk at the clasp is a time-tested way of finishing a re-knot job, so if you skip the gimp at first, you should knot be intimidated by reknotting! It is a lot easier than driving! (or learning how to operate a computer!)

Back