Can anyone tell me more about these pearls/necklace?

norwegian

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with a little background on this pearl set (necklace and ear rings) that was given to my daughter by a family member. I suspect the set is not worth a whole lot, but if anyo IMG_3853.jpgIMG_3855.jpgne out there can give us some pointers on origins, value etc, we'd be grateful. The pearls are not completely even, though fairly uniform in both size and texture (sort of scaly, shimmering and semi-translucent in places). Not sure if that all points to cultured... The size of the pearls is about 3/8 inch diameter. I'm posting a couple of photos in the hope that it is helpful. Thanks!

It would really help if you could get a closeup photo on a white paper towel. Do you have a macro setting (little flower)? :)

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Feel free to post your own thread in this section, but please be sure to answer the following questions in your thread!

We would be pleased to try to help you determine what sort of pearls you have, but we will need some information from you first.

We need you to answer every question:

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

Please understand that any opinions we offer are not an official appraisal. If you think you may have valuable pearls, please see a jeweler.

Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 08-22-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks for following up. I'm posting better photos, though they could be better (I need a better camera). There's a close up of clasp which has the inscription "K.K." and a symbol that looks like a swirl combined with "3" on its side. Also including the case/pouch. Stamp on pouch says 14 KT gold, though I cannot find a similar stamp on the clasp.

The pearls are about 5mm dia. No flaws, other than the variance in coloring.

Unfortunately, we have no history of the purchase and I think my mother in law would be offended if I asked...

The pearls feel gritty against tooth.

Thanks again for your time and I don't exIMG_3856.jpgIMG_3860.jpgIMG_3861.jpgpect that you'll be able to pinpoint exactly what I have but a general sense of whether this is worth taking further would be helpful

Best,

Bjorn

Hello! I want to start off by saying that I know nothing about your necklace and I am not an appraiser or expert in anything, but I have seen a nearly identical clasp in my search for jewelery making supplies; it is a design from a Chinese company.

The Chinese company's clasps have raised edges for the flower outline and center of the flower that is the same height as the leaves. There are 4 nearly smooth, small leaf outlines total between the 4 petals of the flower. There are 2 larger leaf outlines total that attach directly to the east and west petals of the central flower; these leaf outlines have small notches in them for texture. The borer of this is cut off into little squares with a single small dot impression in the middle of each one. You can see why, from the photos, I see the two as identical. Of these clasps, the solid 14kt gold ones are marked 14K K. The plated ones are marked with K K. Since I believe the plated ones are copper, a magnet test most likely wouldn't work.

If your daughter has severe skin reactions to metals like I do, I wouldn't suggest letting her wear it until you bring it to a jeweler or appraiser. It doesn't hurt to be cautious, but it would be a shame if your daughter didn't wear the necklace when it was safe the whole time. I can say nothing about the pearl quality or authenticity, which I believe would give you a better idea of the price of the necklace. I'm only posting based on observation and to hopefully help a little in steering you in the right direction.

I've included a picture of the solid gold clasp from the Chinese company and its markings.
clasp.jpg

Hazarding a guess, they look like akoya pearls that might not have a heavy coating of nacre. It's hard to be sure because the photos are not in sharp focus. Maybe back off a little to get a better focus? :)

Thanks all for your kind help. I will likely take this to a jeweler to see if the set has any value. Unfortunately, my daughter has no interest in pearls--to her it belongs to earlier generations... I think they are quite nice, but I would likely have purchased a less traditional look myself. Perhaps this can be converted into something more fun for her, pearls or otherwise.

Again thanks!

The question regarding the clasp as being 14K or KK I believe may be answered by the black 'leather' packaging. Inside it reads 14 K Gold. Unless of course the packaging is not the original. I agree that the nacre does appears to be thin. It is too bad your daughter does not care for pearls. I am sure it will grow on her as she matures!

Lower-end akoyas was my impression as well.

• The surface of the pearls shows the sort of flaws I've seen on akoyas.
• They are very round due to the bead inside.
• The smaller size (5mm) also suggests a less expensive akoya strand.

Notice that gimp (French wire) was not used to cover the silk where the clasp is attached; that is usually done with better strands. Luster is not high.

I wonder if she would like these better if they were redone as a tin cup type necklace (a station necklace with chain in between the pearls)? Certainly that is a youthful and modern look. Gold-filled chain would keep the cost down.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. My sense is that while the packaging/presentation is adequate/nice, it is not suggestive of a higher end product. The materials used, printing of the "14 k gold" etc, appear to be factory rather than guild, for lack of a better term. Consequently, though the pearls are nice, I doubt that they hold enough value to merit further investigation. Perhaps the best approach is to hang on to the set until she becomes an older lady...

Back