Can an Akoya bracelet be easily damaged?

J

John Smith

I would like to get my wife a gem-quality Akoya or possibly a FWCP bracelet. My wife is hesitant because she thinks she would damage the bracelet in normal use such as when the bracelet would come in contact with other objects. Is this likely?

A bracelet is more vulnerable than a necklace or earrings, sure. If the bracelet is to be worn a lot, CFWP may be the better choice; lacking a bead nucleus, they are more durable than akoyas.

Would she prefer a necklace or earrings? They would not get banged up as much as a bracelet.

I'm not fond of pearl bracelets for that exact reason. I'm always banging my wrist on something. And if I wash my hands, my wrists get wet, which isn't good for the knots.

Yes, one must be a bit more careful wearing a pearl bracelet but well worth that extra care. My favorite pearl bracelets are tin cup style, meaning pearls alternating around the wrist, with sections of gold chain between. There are many variations, from lots of pearls and just a link or 2 of gold chain between to bigger sections of simple or fancy chain, and not as many pearls, and different colors of gold. This can be a good way to show off bigger or very special pearls. It also eliminates any worries about knots and thread getting wet. I do have a very pretty freshwater pearl bracelet strung on high tech stretch cord; the look of great pearls, easy on and easy off in rougher environments ... like dogs and grandsons :)

Would it be for everyday wear or for rare occasions only? Personally, I would not want to wear a pearl bracelet every day, but could wear one every now and then for special events.

The bracelet would be for everyday use so I think I might be leaning toward a CFWP one. She has a white Akoya necklace so I assume she could wear them together if she wanted.

She could definitely wear a CFWP bracelet with an Akoya necklace. If she loves it, and you love it, then that's what matters.

Good! Now think about the kind of clasp. Some clasps are easier to operate one-handed than others. The stretch cord mentioned by CathyKeshi may be worth considering.

Back