Broken Post

I just bought the YDK drill while I was in Hong Kong. I didn't really have the time to shop for drills so I bought this one. Its functional enough for $150 but the Japanese product did look a little better constructed. And it was 3-4 times the cost.

Mike, are you referring to the pearl drilling machine? If so, I'm not familiar with the YDK; I have the green Japanese one. I didn't buy it from Otto Frei, though, because they're more expensive. I bought mine several years ago from Stuller. I was told that they use it to driil their Paspaley pearls. So I figured.... if it's good enough for Paspaley, it's good enough for me! Oh, and it works very well also.

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, are you referring to the pearl drilling machine? If so, I'm not familiar with the YDK; I have the green Japanese one. I didn't buy it from Otto Frei, though, because they're more expensive. I bought mine several years ago from Stuller. I was told that they use it to driil their Paspaley pearls. So I figured.... if it's good enough for Paspaley, it's good enough for me! Oh, and it works very well also.

Gail
You know thats funny. Because it was a friend at Pas that told me that the YDK is what they use. He said don't bother with the Japanese drill. But a Chinese friend said "Don't buy the Chinese drill". You know what they say about opinions.
But I figured like you. If its good enough for Pas. Its good enough for Mikeyy.:D:D

Mikeyy, you are probably right. Stuller is located in Louisiana and I believe, is the U.S. distributor for Paspaley.

It is interesting how great minds think alike! :D

Gail

We have one of the YDK drills and two Japanese drills. The Chinese (YDK) does not have the power needed to drill pearls well, in my opinion. We only use it to sharpen drill bits. I think we paid about $100 for the Chinese drill. The Japanese drills run about $1000.

Is Stuller still selling Paspaley? I heard something about a falling-out a while back.

I have a fairly new Stuller Tool Catalog. They list their pearl drill for about $800, no info on brand, however. If your drill works good, Mikeyy, you got a great deal!

I have a chinese YDK drill and It is just okay for half drilling small quantities of pearls, if you are careful, but I would agree it does not have the torque needed to drill quantities of pearls and full drilling can be done but you will get a pain in the rear region real quick, particularly with larger pearls,and it won't be from sitting too long.
DFrey

I am figuring out that my problem isn't power. Its lining up odd shaped pearls. Even drops. Its like there isn't a good angle to align by sight. I don't know if its easier with the Japanese product. But its an art with this machine from what I see.

The Japanese drill (anadized looking) I didn't get the brand name. Was selling for right at about $600 at the show in HK. But I was in a hurry. So I thought the for $150 and the fact that Pas uses them I would just grab one. But I wish I'd had the time to study it closer. Next time.

Thanks for coming out of the closet, Sueki! Glad you got your pearl/post problem solved, Mikeyy. Sueki's lime scale solution is more funner, though.

And D!!! Where ya been hiding!

Back