Bought 3 strands and now sleepless in Los Angeles. Help!

Thank you very much, everyone. I appreciate your opinion and feedback. I am a bit embarassed to even say how much we spent but I did get carried away and also bought SS pendants, a multi station/color SS bracelet, a couple of rings and a few FW opera length necklaces. So yes, we spent a bit. I will enjoy them for now and see which color and style I absolutely like then pass these on to my daughters. I now know where to go for my next piece (or pieces) and I can't wait!

Hmm, i think they are indeed SSP and Tahitians , but of lower quality.

Here are some high quality SSPs i have = ( just too compere )

Lovely.jpgAAA.jpg

Hey Dizzie
Well shut my mouth- that is the first freshwater strand I ever saw that looked like that. They are very uncommon to say the least, and not very easy to find a batch the same color and size with all those pits......that was a good matching job...

1serendipity,

Thank you for posting the enlarged photos of the blemishes and Jeremy, for your evaluation of these strands and solving the mystery! Dizzie, very interesting strands in your link. Wish we could have a permanent photo of it here. Well, I am including the photo in the name of education~thanks Dizzie

Caption

Just a thought~the pearls can always be redesigned with gemstones added, which might divert some of the attention away from blemishes if it continues to bother you.

Last edited:
I believe the pearls are not too bad myself, however, whether they are considered good value or not I would not know.

My own silver SSP that I bought in HK back in 2009 has a fair amount of pitting on the surfaces, however, the pearls are semi round, in silver, of good size, and good lustre.

On balance, to me at least, it was good value for money, when compared with a smaller strand, rounder pearls and much less pitting, and cost 5 times more!

DK :)

Hi 1serendipity - I think you have a good plan. Enjoy these and see what works for you and what direction to go in the future. I have learned a lot by wearing lesser pearls. I have learned that I don't like heavy necklaces, I prefer silver overtones to cream ones for white pearls, I prefer lavendar pink to peach pink, I prefer drop shapes in necklaces to ovals, and so on.

Life is all about the journey and not the ultimate destination, so enjoy this step on your journey. In the meantime, more pictures of your pearly haul would be awesome.

This has been a very intersting thread. So out of curiousity I dug out my bulk strands of dyed Chinese freshwater "peacock" pearls to see if there are any of these strange pits. Yes there are, and quite a few, I took a few hurried photos, some of them not very clear, but they do have pits very similar to the pits we see on Tahitian pearls. I am not saying the pearls belonging to the original poster of this thread are Chinese FW, but just sharing this for information purposes.
DSCN0742.jpgDSCN0743.jpgDSCN0744.jpg

Nice freshwaters, sinju!

I am curious, do those have a bead inside? What size are they?

I have learned a lot from this thread. That CFWP can have divots and that those Greenhill shops will fool a lot of people calling them South Sea. I sure was fooled by the photo and who knows if I would have been in real life. I had the idea it was the large saltwater pearls that had the divots and that prejudiced my thinking.

thank for teaching me, yall!:D

Back