Blue lagoon - knock off??

Diamondsareforever

I purchased this and something doesn't seem right. Im not super familiar with this brand but I kinda think these are not blue lagoon.
Mostly the clasp hallmark, and pearl quality rather low for this brand i think??

Blue Lagoon 585 hallmarkBlue Lagoon strand?Is this quality a real Blue Lagoon?Closure closeup

In researching your strand I learned something new...after a brief search I found that if the clasp says BLF, the F stands for Freshwater.

Also interesting about Mikimoto pearls.

FINALLY, I found your exactly the SAME strand/clasp on a website for sale.

Last edited:
In researching your strand I learned something new...after a brief search I found that if the clasp says BLF, the F stands for Freshwater.

Also interesting about Mikimoto pearls.

FINALLY, I found your exactly the SAME strand/clasp on a website for sale.
Thank you! This is a lot of helpful information.
The one you found like mine, looks like mine as in the one you shared is genuine.
But mine, instead of “BL 14k” says “BL 585” &
My strand has metal attachments to clasp that the genuine one does not have.

The pearl quality on my strand just does not seem beautiful enough.
Let me know your thoughts please

Thank you! This is a lot of helpful information.
The one you found like mine, looks like mine as in the one you shared is genuine.
But mine, instead of “BL 14k” says “BL 585” &
My strand has metal attachments to clasp that the genuine one does not have.

The pearl quality on my strand just does not seem beautiful enough.
Let me know your thoughts please
585 just indicates the purity of the gold, as 14K.
58.5 per cent pure

If a gold product bears the hallmark '585', then your gold has been tested and classed as 14 carat or 58.5 per cent pure. The remaining 41.5 per cent of the item is composed of different metals such as nickel, copper, or in some cases silver.

The connection point is a little more of a challenge. In days gone by, pearls came strung on thread that jeweler's just knotted in those connection findings that could be bent around the clasp, which made for a quicker delivery after the sale (rather than restringing). I'm not sure that Mikimoto pearls ever came that way, but that doesn't mean they didn't. The only way to truly verify is to pay money to Mikimoto, mail them off, and have them verified at a Mikimoto store. I know, because I wanted to verify my 1983 Clasp pearls and that's what they told me.

Are you wanting to sell them and don't know a staring price? Are you wanting to keep them and need value for insurance?
Or do you just want to know they are authentic? Experts on Mikimoto, like @pattye might be able to help you with this.
Knowing whether a jeweler put actual Mikimoto on a Mikimoto store line clasp is next to impossible, except for the actual quality of the pearls. Which I agree with you; these don't look like even Blue Lagoon quality, even though the clasp indicates that's what they are.

This is my Aunt Love's Blue Lagoon strand. I can't magnify well enough to read the stamp on the clasp. However, the attachment thingies are kinda disgusting, and they are original to the strand. I probably should restring these and give them a good washing.

Your strand looks good. I think I see grime more than bad surface texture. Maybe they just need a good cleaning?

IMG_1432.jpeg

Truly, I'm no Miki expert. The Blue Lagoon may have been lesser quality than the Miki's, but a bath and restringing can make all the difference in rejuvenating your necklace. The value for vintage/antique pearls is usually modest unless the pearls/clasp are exceptional.

Those bead tips get pretty grungy, but they are still available in 14K gold, so I guess they are still used if one wants to stay as authentic as possible.

I really don't like the look of bead tips, so I'll probably restring with gimp. I think it looks nicer.

I also hadn't realized how grungy these look. In person, without magnification, they actually look pretty good.

Back