Bizarre fib from a fairly consistent eBay pearl vendor

Seems to me like this is somewhat like those who sell the counterfeit high end designer purses, hey, it looks pretty good, lets call it Gucci or Chanel, and sell it for a cheap price-- does the consumer care? Or do they just want to gain status through a name?

From the perspective of a meticulous businessperson, certainly.

I just can't get too stressed about it as a consumer because their photos are good and their ratings record of providing what they display is fairly strong, tall tales notwithstanding.

eBay is a caveat emptor marketplace and people don't go there to spend a large amount on valuables they haven't studied. It's much like picturing an old Game Boy and claiming you're selling a DS-- search returns to interested buyers are going to be poor and anyone with eyes can tell the difference. Fraud is a more comprehensive ruse IMO, but I applaud the efforts of those who feel this is a grave wrong. :)

Fraud is any type of misrepresentation. It becomes criminal fraud when it is done for profit. Period.

I also reported them.

I agree with you, J Marcus! A lie is a lie no matter how big or small.....it is the intent to mislead that should be the deciding factor of whether it is a fraud or not. It is good to know that we as a group have been able to make a difference no matter how small, to stop people from misguiding buyers to make a quick buck! Well done to us ;)

I looked at this ebay seller and it raises a mulitude of questions for me beyond their clear misrepresentation of their pearl offerings. Auctioning jewelry with large rubies as pictured on their website would draw a lot of trade bids, if it wasn't clearly a scam. Fine quality rubies as pictured on their website are very expensive at the wholesale level or at the mine. This ebay seller is misrepresenting way more than just their pearls!
DFrey

Back