Are these undyed Tahitian Pearls?

momsjewel

Hi all, I have yet another set of, what I was told were Tahitian pearls, but, am not so sure now after checking out the information on this site. This is a necklace and earrings set of genuine black or Tahitian pearl necklace and earrings. The pearls are a good size measuring about 10 mm long by 8 mm side (or 3/8" inch long by 5/16th" wide) and have a beautiful dark luster. Both pieces are sterling silver and marked 925. The necklace has silver spacers, measures 17 1/2" in length and has a very feminine curved shape. The earrings hang down, or have a drop of 1 1/8" and are designed with a nice curved shape with a silver bead cut which gives them some sparkle. The necklace weights 11.2 grams and the earrings weigh 2.5 grams. Any information on these pearls would be greatly appreciated!

pearlblacknecklaceclose2.jpgpearlblacknecklaceearringgood.jpgpearlblacknecklacemark.jpg

Alas, these also appear to be dyed freshwaters.... They are more the shape of freshwater drop pearls and seem to lack overtones. Do you feel comfortable sharing who advertised these as Tahitians?

I'm so sorry you were misled. It's a shame that sellers lie like that. Was this an eBay seller?

I agree with Marianne. These pearls have the shape of freshwater pearls. Tahitians looks different. You can chech out either the photos on the thread on PG about tahitians or look at a couple of the vendor's sites from people writing here.

Hopefully you did't pay tahitian prices but just got them at a good price. The designs are pretty.

- Karin

Thanks for all the information - I definitely have to do more learning on the subject of types of pearls. I was told by an older woman at a yard sale that these were old Tahitian pearls - fortunately, I only paid $30.00 for the set. I do like them also - so, all is not lose. Again, thanks everyone!

For a nice design with silver, I think you did well for that price :)

Thanks for all the information - I definitely have to do more learning on the subject of types of pearls. I was told by an older woman at a yard sale that these were old Tahitian pearls - fortunately, I only paid $30.00 for the set. I do like them also - so, all is not lose. Again, thanks everyone!

You did just fine. I spent $70 on my first 'tahitians' and they weren't as nice as yours :) The woman might actually have believed it herself.

- Karin

Back