antitarnish and pearls

Pearly-Pearly

Community member
Hello!
I am receiving a new jewelry box for xmas and it is supposed to be lined in an antitarnish material. Does anyone know if this can be damaging to my pearls? I have a few types of pearls if that matters. It could be a good thing, as I have used Sterling findings on a few pieces. But I am worried some chemical or something will be harmful for them. The box is from QVC of all places, and there is no more info on the page about the fabric.
Thanks in advance!!

Hi Acksim,

I have several jewelry boxes from QVC with the anti-tarnish lining. They say it is safe for all jewelry, including pearls, and I have seen the presentations many times. I have lots of silver, and it works well for me. If you want to do more research on such linings, just google "anti-tarnish fabric" many companies make it, including 3M. I am definitely not one for polishing silver!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

FireMountain has zip-lock plastic bags which prevent tarnish for up to a year. I don't keep my pearls in them. They also have the anti-tarnish strips which you can put in any box and it will keep the jewelry from tarnishing. I do put these in with my silver and pearls. I include the anti-tarnish packaging in anything I make and give away. It's very cost-effective.

Back