Akoya pearls or sale

callaway001

I have a double strand of Akoya pearls around 70 years old recently appraised at $1,900 (with 14k gold clasp). They are double-knotted and beautiful. Where would be my best bet to sell these?

Hi Callaway

We would love to see a picture or two!

Is that appraisal for replacement value?

You can search Ebay for similar necklaces- in completed sales -so you know what they actually sold for. That would be pretty close to market value, which is considerably less than replacement value. We do have a member who can tell you market value, but we really need photos.

We have a thread about taking pictures of pearls, but in short, put them on non-refleting white paper like a plain paper towel or a matte napkin. Use the macro setting -the flower- and get as close as possible. The more photos the better we can see your strand. Shoot in indirect light inside and/or outside. Try one shot in the sun. Don't use a flash. A photo with the clasp is helpful. Some clasps are added value.

Besides we just love to see 70 year old akoyas! - that is how old my MiL's akoyas are...which are from the 30s depression era.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Hi Callaway

We would love to see a picture or two!

Is that appraisal for replacement value?

You can search Ebay for similar necklaces- in completed sales -so you know what they actually sold for. That would be pretty close to market value, which is considerably less than replacement value. We do have a member who can tell you market value, but we really need photos.

We have a thread about taking pictures of pearls, but in short, put them on non-refleting white paper like a plain paper towel or a matte napkin. Use the macro setting -the flower- and get as close as possible. The more photos the better we can see your strand. Shoot in indirect light inside and/or outside. Try one shot in the sun. Don't use a flash. A photo with the clasp is helpful. Some clasps are added value.

Besides we just love to see 70 year old akoyas! - that is how old my MiL's akoyas are...which are from the 30s depression era.

I have some pictures, but do not know how to load them on here! I will search completed sales on eBay as you suggested, and the appraisal was from replacement value.

Appraisal and what you could sell them for are two different things. It really helps if you have some evidence of provenance, otherwise one strand of nice Akoya's is pretty much the same as another strand of equal quality, except for the clasp and other findings if any. The trouble with older pearls is that they can lose their luster due to surface dirt and enviromental acidity etc. A quick dip in Hagerty pearl cleaner can be quite restorative, along with a little mineral oil.

Back