Akoya Pearls on Ebay

Well, the most glaring fact is that many of the pix used in the seller's auctions are pulled from other places - they do not represent the pieces. Luster looks great on all the photos, but all of the pictures are stolen*, and the seller advertises Akoya pearls, yet the pictures are all of freshwater pearls, and the prices gaurantee that. Every description of every auction is completely fabricated. You will be getting "ripped off" if you purchase from this seller based on the descriptions posted in the auctions.

What you see is not what you will get. From the feedback I have read on this seller (which is certainly indicative of the true product), they are selling low-end freshwater pearls. I would strongly advise staying clear of this seller.

*Pix are pulled from Websites that sell pearls. The most obvious is the pearl bracelet around the bamboo - for some reason eBay sellers love that pic.

Last edited:
To add to what Jeremy said: The picture used for that auction is used for at least three other auctions by the same seller. Proof that the picture is not representative of the item that you are buying.

Another thing that stands out is the description "7.5 x 8mm natural color Japanese Akoya". 7.5mm Akoya can not be called Japanese Akoya. See the articles on this Webiste.

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I am very new to buying pearls and have already purchased these :( I have not received them yet, but they are being shipped.

I will be sure to steer clear of ads like this in the future! Thanks again.

Akoya pearls on Ebay

Akoya pearls on Ebay

Bpeluso,

if you want to see fine akoyas and what they actually cost - even at wholesale - look at Pearl Paradise.com or Pure Pearls.com or any other of our members I mentioned in another post regarding pearls from Ebay. When You see the luster you can compare. Never forget - You get what you pay for. And for 100 dollars you are not getting much in the way of Akoyas.

Next time go shopping online at one of our retailers.

jerin:)

P.S. I made the same mistake the very first time I was buying pearls - and I paid dearly in form of very high shipping costs. D.S.
But nowadays I KNOW and would not dream of going on Ebay for any shopping of jewelry or pearls. D.S.:rolleyes:

-B

Fortunately for you, the Seller of these pearls is in the U.S., and has Paypal Buyer Protection. You can see that on the right side near the top. It is number 2 in the Buy Safety block.

Here is the link to the Paypal buyer protection site, and near the bottom it says you are covered if you received merchandise different from what you ordered.

Also, eBay has buyer protection up to $200.

If you paid by Paypal, and you should have, then as soon as you receive the item, check to see if the clasp has 18k stamped on it. The seller advertised 18k white gold, and that means it must be solid gold, not plated. If it says GP then it is plated and was misrepresented. Of course if it says .925, then it is silver.

Save the auction page to your computer so you'll be able to maintain a permanent copy of the auction and photo. You may want to save the auction photo separately also.

Then take a good photo of the item so as to show the difference in the advertised pearls and what you received.

Take a photo of the pearls next to the shipping box it came in. Save the entire shipping box and all it's contents. Don't destroy the shipping label when opening the box. Then make the following reports.

1. US Postal Service, for postal fraud. You were defrauded, and he used the postal service to ship the misrepresented product. That is one good way to put guys like this out of business.

2. eBay - report the misrepresented auction and goods received.

3. Paypal - report the misrepresented auction and goods received

The negative feedback this guy has is very enlightening. A couple of reports said they received cheap freshwater peals. Another said he returned the pearls and has not received the money back.

Always read and "heed" the "negative" feedbacks, as well as the neutral. If the negs and neutrals are as bad as this guy, then you should disregard the positive ones because they were the gullible ones who have no idea of what they're buying.

Remember to file your complaints with eBay, Paypal, and the Postal Service right away. Before you contact the seller.

Then contact the seller and inform him that he has shipped you the wrong product. If he doesn't respond within 2 days, write again. Do this about 4 times in two weeks. Keep your language factual, and ask for you money back. Keep the copies of the communication.

Don't send the product back to him until you get specific instructions from Paypal, and the US Postal Service has seen the shipment.

There are honest sellers on eBay, as well as honest buyers. You as a buyer must learn to recognize the honest ones. Feedback is the way to do that. Only by from U.S. sellers because you have recourse here. You don't have recourse in China.

Only pay with Paypal because you have more protection, and when you run into a dishonest seller and are defrauded, then always report it to the Postal Service, eBay, and Paypal.

Bill

I do not like to make blanket statements like "Do not buy on eBay".

Rather, I would say, "Don't spend any money you can't afford to lose on eBay." Both while you are learning the ropes and even afer you have developed a nose for the language, caveats and misdirections for the world class thieves market that is eBay.

There are rarely bargains to be had on eBay, but there are some- just like at the swap meet--and you have to sort through miles of junk before you find the treasure.

You have to be like Aladdin and ignore the enticing "bargains" and unbelievable deals or you won't get the prize, you'll just get taken.

When you do get taken, you should be willing to do everything Bill said above, which takes a lot of time and trouble - but follow up with bad sellers really is part of the price of doing business on eBay.

Back