Akoya pearl farming here?

S

S_Macco

I read somewhere that we have akoya oysters living here on the coasts of the USA. Is this true? If so why cannot we just hvae akoya pearl farms here. I know that it is cheaper in China, but not really in Japan, right?

U.S. akoyas

U.S. akoyas

Hi,

The University of Texas was experimenting with culturing akoya-type pearls and freshwater pearls from the Tampico pearly mussel. However, I have not heard anything from that project in years and Leonhard DiMichele has not answered my e-mails. Given the pollution in the Gulf of Mexico, I doubt that much is going to come out it but you never know. There are some freshwater and marine pearl culturing operations going on in California but the only one that has so far made a commercial impact is the abalone mabé farm and that makes most of its money from selling the abalone meat and shells.

Zeide

That is really something that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. I spoke with Mr. Cross about it a couple of years ago. There are just so many hurdles and such large investments - it is much, much easier to do it in China - but you lose so much control.
Just last year we had a red tide here in California - I am sure many of you heard. I did not realize how bad it was until on a flight to Asia out of LAX. I wish I had taken pictures - it was sad.

Business idea

Business idea

Now here is a great idea for forum member TeNatura. There are plenty of pink abalone living around Catalina Island. Why not start a pearl farm there using pink abalone. I know how to culture free (albeit not particularly round) solid pearls in them and Jeremy knows how to market them, so what is the problem? I guess beach front real estate prices on Catalina may be somewhat out of my reach.

Zeide

Back