Advice on returning pearls to online company

Luli

I received a lot of great advice recently about some earrings purchased online helping me with my decision to return them but now I have a different issue and that is with the return.

The company I bought the earrings from says they have a no hassle refund policy but I also need to get authorization to return the earrings. But I have called and I have emailed and it's been more than a week and I've gotten no responses from them except a sort of 'someone will call you back' but then they never do.

I don't just want to mail them without being sure that I can return them this way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is unfortunate. Have you actually talked to someone when you've called or just left messages? If you've just left messages you could always call and leave a message that you are interested in purchasing something from the website and need more info and then when they call you back get the return authorization. I know it's sneaky, a little under-handed, but you do have a right to return the earrings! Hope no one from that vendor reads this...

P.S. - I'm really a nice person irl!

Luli,

If you purchased your earrings with a credit card or by Paypal you might have some recourse that way if you can't get a response to your request for a return authorization. I'd suggest documenting each attempt at contacting them (what dates you left messages, what the content of the message was), and see if there is a way to leave messages with them in writing as well (is there an email customer service line, or a live online chat that you can print screen shots of?).

If you still can't get a response, before the end of the return window, contact your payment provider (credit card company, Paypal) to discuss next steps. Escalate your messages too indicating that you are unhappy with the lack of customer service response, and what you plan to do if you don't get a response within an appropriate window of time (i.e., "If I do not hear back from you within one week I will have no choice but to file a complaint with the BBB, and/or reverse charges on my CC or open a dispute with Paypal") Ordinarily I would not be super aggressive, but this particular seller appears to have a bit of a reputation for being difficult to initiate returns with.

Next time you call and get a live person, insist on an authorization to be given right then, not at some later return call. If necessary get a supervisor on the line. State that you have called before and that you did not receive the promised return call and that you now want to send it back without further delay.

If they still will not give the authorization then I think they are trying to make you miss your return window. Don't miss the return window stated on their website! Pack the item up exactly as their online instructions state. Include a copy of the original packing slip and a letter stating that you tried to get authorization on the phone and never received a return call, and send the item back to the address it came from, insured and with tracking suited to the value (may need signature if over a certain amount) and pay to get a return receipt.
Keep copies of everything.

If you do not get your refund within a reasonable period, contact your credit card and file a claim.

Then file a complaint with the BBB.

And then tell us who they are so we can avoid buying from them (Never mind, I found it in your earlier posts. It figures!)

Last edited:
Next time you call and get a live person, insist on an authorization to be given right then, not at some later return call. If necessary get a supervisor on the line. State that you have called before and that you did not receive the promised return call and that you now want to send it back without further delay.

If they still will not give the authorization then I think they are trying to make you miss your return window. Don't miss the return window stated on their website! Pack the item up exactly as their online instructions state. Include a copy of the original packing slip and a letter stating that you tried to get authorization on the phone and never received a return call, and send the item back to the address it came from, insured and with tracking suited to the value (may need signature if over a certain amount) and pay to get a return receipt.
Keep copies of everything.

If you do not get your refund within a reasonable period, contact your credit card and file a claim.

Then file a complaint with the BBB.

And then tell us who they are so we can avoid buying from them (Never mind, I found it in your earlier posts. It figures!)
If you return, make sure you have a return receipt signature!! That way you have proof that it was actually received. I will often use FEDEX for that very reason!

Back