advice needed please

MelissaHCox

2014-09-05 13.06.40.jpg2014-09-05 13.05.55.jpgHi, I am so glad to have found this forum!!! I have a strand of pearls that I was hoping to sell sometime soon and am feeling unsure about how to go about the whole process. About the pearls:
- the strand is 24 inches long
- they were purchased at Saks Fifth Avenue in San Francisco in 1977 for $380 (I have the original receipt)
- I was given them in a velvet sack with a nylon type inside
- the pearls feel very smooth
- I am a little confused about measuring them but I believe they are ~ 7-8mm, maybe larger
- I was told that they are Japanese Akoya pearls but I have no proof
I was hoping that someone could also tell me what the best way to go about selling them would be!
Thank you so much, I am so grateful!
View attachment 31097
2014-09-05 13.05.55.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-09-05 13.06.52.jpg
    2014-09-05 13.06.52.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 27
It can be difficult to get anywhere near the price you want with used pearls. I suggest you check the completed sales on eBay. Beware - there are masses of freshwater pearls listed as akoya pearls. Try "vintage akoya necklace". Good luck. :)

Good advice from GemGeek. Most people who asks these kinds of questions on the forum find the value of used pearls is such that it's better to save them for future use - either by themselves or family.

- Karin

Mislissah, strands like these clean up beautifully.

If they are given a nice bath in a mild soapy water, with careful wiping between the pearls with a soft cloth, followed by restringing, they can be lovely to wear.

Do consider keeping them. Vintage akoya pearls often do not bring a good price on resale.

They look quite lovely, and 24-inches is not the most common length, although it is one of my favorites (I like to play with my pearls when I wear them and you can't do that with a 16-inch choker lol). I'd wear and enjoy - the color looks great for a 30-year old strand! :)

Back