Advice: $500 budget, want to buy a nice strand for my wife. Where to buy?

newtopearls

Hi All,

I want to buy my wife (first year anniversary!) a nice, classic strand of pearls to compliment her business and casual attire. After extensive research, I've determined the following:

(1) I'd like to buy Akoya pearls;
(2) I'd like to get an 18 inch strand
(3) I'd like them to be the highest quality I can afford. I want my wife to wear these for the rest of her life. So I'm looking for AA+ to AAA.

I've got a budget of $500-600. I've spent time at the Pearl Source and Peal Paradise as well as websites of large retailers (Nordstrom's,Saks, Macy's etc).

On peal paradise and pearl source, I can certainly find a strand of 6-7s in my price range. The quality is AAA and from the web they look great At the Macy's of the world's the exact same strands are $1,500. And to add more confusion, at my local luxury jeweler, the prices are even double that!

I can't tell whether any of the pearls at Macy's and other retailers are name brands. Does that matter?

I guess my main question is: at my budget, where would you buy the best set of pearls you can afford? Are the peal paradise/source ones even worth it or should I save for another year and buy the stuff at Macy's/local store? Is there a difference?

Please advise!

Many, many, many thanks.

Welcome newtopearls,

I do not know about Pearl Source, but have had the highest quality pearls, and service from Pearl Paradise. Their overhead is low and prices are the best for top quality pearls. Name branding just raises the price and the average sales person at Macy's has very little knowledge of pearls. (just my experience)
Akoyas are lovely, but you could get some just as lovely freshwaters in a larger size that would wear just as well or better for the same price. :)

Good luck and lucky wife!

Hi,

One of the reasons that freshwater pearls are often recommended here on PG is that the layer of nacra on modern Akoya pearls is so thin that it will wear off. Depending on your wife's age, they may not last her lifetime. Pearlparadise (Freshadama) and several of the other on-line vendors here have a quality line of freshwater pearls that are impossible for almost anyone to tell apart from Akoya pearls. Fresh water pearls, of the size you are looking at, are solid nacre and will never wear out.

With your budget I believe you will get some very beautiful pearls that will last long enough to be handed down, if you look at the top range fresh water pearls.

- Karin

I too would recommend you consider freshwater pearls because they are indeed more durable. For that budget you will be able to get a really fabulous strand of pearls and some earrings I think (without checking prices)
The reason that we online sellers can offer great pearls at great prices is because we cut out several layers of commerce by buying direct and in person.
Because of the way you spell jeweller I'm guessing you are in America, but you will find that customer service at pearl Paradise etc is every bit as good as in a bricks and morter store (if not better). I reckon that we onliners try harder!

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T buy them from Macy's or a big department store. Look around at the online sellers here. Sarah at Kojima Pearl has an Akoya strand on her site and they are vingage pearls from the safe. You might email her to see what else she has in akoyas if you are set on those. Good luck.

Indeed. Brick and mortar stores have the highest prices on pearls. They buy from a wholesaler who buy from a show mega-wholesaler who bought from an importer who bought from a factory. Many layers of markups.

Jeremy Shepherd of Pearl Paradise went to China, bought necklaces and came back and sold them. Now he imports directly from factories to the public. He is one of top ranked experts in the Pearl World, so he buys really good pearls. He carries the best buys in the basic pearl sets. Only if you want something outside of the classic white pearl necklace and earrings, bracelet, etc would you need to look further than PP.

Thanks for the responses everyone. That's very kind of you. I've spent alot of time on this website and researching reputable on-line sellers. One thing is for sure: I'm not buying pearls from a brick and mortal store (i.e, Macy's).

The best prices I've found have been at Pearl Paradise or Pearl Source. After doing some research, it's clear that folks on this site are not too fond of Leon and the Peal Source and he over-grades all his pearls. Jeremy from Pearl Paradise gets great reviews here and chimes in with thoughtful posts. I'm likely to buy from Pearl Paradise, but I'm the type of guy that likes to talk to a live person. It allows me to get a "feel" for the company I'm dealing with. Does anyone know how receptive Jeremy is to phone calls at his office? I'd love to ask him a few questions.

Hi NewToPearls,

Why don't you just PM Jeremy?

- Karin

I'm sure you can phone Jeremy. The website also has a live chat feature.

I love the pearls I've gotten from Pearl Paradise and agree that freshwater pearls will get you larger pearls for the price, and durability. Akoyas are nacre over a bead and may not last her lifetime, whereas the freshwaters are all nacre. (There are some newer lines of cultured freshwater pearls that have a bead inside, but most are all nacre, including the Freshadama line.)

The luster of freshwaters is less metallic than that of Akoyas, though, so if you are specifically looking for that metallic sort of shine, get Akoyas-- but not from a B&M store where price is higher and quality lower (dollar for dollar).

Photo of my Freshadamas 7-8mm:

Attachments

• Freshadamas largr photo.jpg
    Freshadamas largr photo.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I am a luster person, so I look for metallic luster before I look at shape. I can live with just off round to get mirror metallic (even more metallic than metallic!) It will help if you know what you want before you call. (ie..compromise on perfect round to get slightly larger but fabulous luster for the same price) You probably won't get Jeremy but all who answer the phones at all our businesses know our pearls!

I'D buy from someone who would give you regular restringing included in the price. We have done it and I have customers who do it. I guarantee you big box does 't do it. Very much the same as some auto manufacters are doing for various mileage of 20k, 30k,40k, at no charge maintenance,

Personally I would not choose the seller based on free restringing -- the pearls are far more important than the silk-- but it is a nice plus if you do get it.

Last edited:
Back