adhesives & glue solvents

I am going to try it (once mom tells me she does not want her pearl back…I've had it a long time now), I will let you know how it works out.

Has anyone here tried the hot water glue dissolution hack? I just gave it a try on a ring I'm trying to remove pearls from and it did not seem to loosen the glue. Any other suggestions? I'd like to save the pearls.

Over here we have a glue solvent which comes in a bottle with a brush, like nail polish. drip the solvent onto or as near onto the glue as poss and wait a bit and like magic the glue has softened and you can move the pearl. Takes a while and a few drips with epoxy but superglue folds in a minute or two. Wonderful stuff
With a post stuck in a pearl another way to remove is to drill it out. Just use a 1mm drill bit and go slowly, in and out to clear the metal. Don't let the pearl get hot.

Has anyone here tried the hot water glue dissolution hack? I just gave it a try on a ring I'm trying to remove pearls from and it did not seem to loosen the glue. Any other suggestions? I'd like to save the pearls.

I have accidentally, when I was cleaning my silver jewelry with a hot baking-soda-and-aluminum-foil dip. :D

Try a local hardware shop, that's where I get my glue and the solvent - if you can't find it let me know and I'll bring a couple of bottles to HK

Hi Katbran- I got the green light, so I tried it, unfortunately it did not work for me. I could see how it would be a good technique though. Wendy's suggestion is probably best, but I am not a pearl driller...

You aren't drilling the pearl BPD, you're drilling what's in the pearl. And all you need is an ordinary house drill and a 1mm bit.

Thanks for clarifying, will definitely give it a try.

You aren't drilling the pearl BPD, you're drilling what's in the pearl. And all you need is an ordinary house drill and a 1mm bit.

Back