A Graphic Illustration of Ocean Acidification

This is so sad and dismal. The situation is akin to a disease who's treatment should have been started long ago. In fact, the treatment that should have been started long ago, should also have been a seriously radical treatment. What to do now? My optimism at a solution has slowly been eroded by years and years of collective inaction. Energy saving light bulbs, smaller cars, recycling...etc.,---if you really think about it---are actually laughable in proportion to what would really be needed to fix the upcoming ecological disaster of our making.

Slraep: Yes, it is more than daunting. In fact, for a long time it was a subject that I would rarely bring up around others because it was, and then by default, I was, perceived as such a "bummer" and I seemed to irritate people by projections of doom and gloom. Finally, my researches into the scientific facts behind this issue convinced me that my worries about spoiling peoples moods paled beside the need to convey the urgency of our becoming aware of and dealing with this potentially immense disaster coming at us like a runaway train. How we deal with this and how our world comes out in the end depends on how we react to this knowledge. We have a choice. We can chose one of the ways of hiding our heads in the sand by denial or refusing to even look at the evidence and it's conclusions, or we can face up to it, sort out what is to be done and dedicate ourselves to turning this monumental mess around--and let's make no bones about it. It will take a tremendous amount of dedication and effort by many, many individuals, institutions and governments to pull us back from the brink. I will not add the line "...if we even can" because I refuse to believe that we can't. I have children. No one with children or even friends and family whom we love can afford not to believe that it can be accomplished nor give any less than their best.

The frustrating thing is that my research into this problem has convinced me that we already have, right now, the tools and processes to turn the CO2 problem around. I have been and will continue to post much of the news about these possibilities on the blog--FixingAir-- http://fixingair.blogspot.com/ So far, the political and economic will to do so has been lacking. Hopefully the new US administration will pull our federal head out of the sand (or somewhere, perhaps, even darker.........) and put the necessary resources in motion to pull us back from the edge--and much as I have not wanted to believe that we are approaching the brink, the vast majority of what I have been able to turn up on the CO2 problem points to our not only approaching that point but that the rate is accellerating. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Those who love pearls need to be informed about ocean acidification. That is a measurable trait whether one believes in global warming- or not. Like the ugly results of acid rains a couple of decades ago, unbalanced pH messes with everything- even in the ocean. Pearls and sea shells dissolve in mildly acidic water and I think we are already moving toward that in some parts of the world.

I am glad we have two people seriously keen on this subject in the forum. Well, me too, so that is 3. Anyone else is welcome to declare here. The Clean Ocean squad :D can report solutions as well as problems.

I just noticed that there is an upgrade for Google Earth called Google Ocean LINK

The Google Earth oceans upgrade allows users to do the following, according to the Google Earth download site:
*Dive beneath the surface and visit the deepest part of the ocean, the Mariana Trench *Explore the ocean with top marine experts including National Geographic and BBC
*Learn about ocean observations, climate change, and endangered species
*Discover new places including surf, dive, and travel hot spots and shipwrecks

Caitlin,

That's really great! Thanks for posting the Google Ocean link.

Those who love pearls need to be informed about ocean acidification. That is a measurable trait whether one believes in global warming- or not.

Acidification is also a good way to illustrate that there isn't just one "school of global warming" which requires people to believe in a certain set of outcomes. Humans are, quite clearly, altering the planet. If we change it enough -- specifics of hot, cold, CO2, SO2, etc. notwithstanding -- we risk making it inhospitable to all forms of life. That concept should be wedge-issue-politics-proof, but we're not there yet, sadly.

Acidification is also a good way to illustrate that there isn't just one "school of global warming" which requires people to believe in a certain set of outcomes. Humans are, quite clearly, altering the planet. If we change it enough -- specifics of hot, cold, CO2, SO2, etc. notwithstanding -- we risk making it inhospitable to all forms of life. That concept should be wedge-issue-politics-proof, but we're not there yet, sadly.

Yes Laurenb, you're absolutely right. No matter what the weather does, we face potential disaster from the increasing acidity of the ocean. What the actual, final results will be we can't, at this point, be sure, but they will undoubtedly be immense and almost certainly not to our liking and hold the potential of of harming or even destroying much of life as we know it. I am heartened by observing that President Obama has, without hyperbole, stated repeatedly that this problem is the greatest that we now face. Write your senators and congress people and tell them how you feel. If you are not American, then write to the people in power in whatever nation you are part of and urge them to action. Don't let up the pressure.

not a good place to buy waterfront property is it :(

So the little guys may well still be around after we have gone! And they don't even have a brain. How ironic. A bit of cosmic humour here.

"Study: Mussels can survive ocean acidification

Ocean mussels can survive global warming's expected acid-laced waters, report geoscientists, but only at a cost."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sciencefair/2009/04/study-mussels-can-survive-ocean-acidification.html

Interesting article--Not life "as we know it....." Notice they mention that crabs don't seem to be able to grow carapaces in those conditions. What else?

Back