what type of pearl is this?

areli_daisy

My husband found this on an oyster but don't know which kind it is or how much its worth? It was in a pacific oyster and it was put in the grill but not fully cooked. Its about 5 milimeter long by 3 milimeter wide. Its soft with no dents and its color is creamy.

Attachments

• 20151011_212750.jpg
    20151011_212750.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Was it cooked? (Cooking damages the pearl.)

What are its dimensions? (You can photograph it close up next to a ruler, preferably a millimeter ruler if you have one.) If you have no ruler use a common object like a pencil or coin.)

What does the other side look like?

Your location may tell you what kind of oyster it was, if it was an edible oyster-- see this article which lists the 5 main varieties of edible oysters:
http://upstart.bizjournals.com/cult.../2008/01/29/Oyster-Eating-Guide.html?page=all

It was in a pacific oyster and it was put in the grill but not fully cooked. Its about 5 milimeter long by 3 milimeter wide. Its soft with no dents and its color is creamy.

Then I think you have a very nice little memento and conversation piece!

I don't see this type of pearl listed on the websites of sellers of natural pearls and think it probably doesn't have commercial value. (I looked at Kari Pearls and The Pearl Collector.)

Back