Help...What Kind of Pearls do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...What Kind of Pearls do I have?

With all due respect, I like to think Pearl-Guide for giving me the opportunity to post in the forum. I need help to identify the pearls. Can one of the experts in here help me in this case? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	411263

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	411264

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	411265

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	411262

Based on the photos they appear to be older akoya cultured pearls. Is the clasp marked?
    Check out my jewelry here

Comment

They look like akoyas, only thing that throws me off is the brass colored finding (looks like a crimp bead end, but I know thats not what it it called, the name escapes me) between the pearls and the clasp, either thats a new clasp because I don't see things like that on newer higher end pearls usually on imitation or restrung pearls from a long time ago
      WestPearls.com My Shop
      West Pearls on Etsy

Comment

I agree, older akoya pearls.

They could use a nice warm bath with some mild soapy water, followed by restringing. And then they would be lovely to wear!

If you are interested in learning to restring, it isn't hard-- many of us string our own pearls. See the instructions in the Lowly Beaders Club forum.

Comment

ckrickett, I've got some jewelry from the 50's with those type of end cap findings, but they still make them today as well. That clasp could be new too, though it's hard to tell from the photo.
          Check out my jewelry here

Comment

Originally posted by MSC View Post
            Based on the photos they appear to be older akoya cultured pearls. Is the clasp marked?
            Thank you for the responses! Yes, it's marked 14KG (see image).

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	368134

Comment

In addition, the pearls are between 8-9 millimeters and some are over 9.

Comment

My guess is that someone restrung it with whatever materials they had at hand. It doesn't look like a professional job.

Be careful with the clasp. The jump ring has nearly cut through the loop in the clasp.
                Contemporary Jewelry by Beatriz Fortes
                My blog

Comment

Working...
                X