X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lagoon Island Pearls
    replied
    Originally posted by lemanmls View Post
    Now, there is a problem. There is a comment has been made by an Italian jewellery maker friend of mine, that the black marks on the pearl x-ray are most probably not grafts but fissures ( ?)
    There is no problem. Fissures are cracks. The contrasts in the views are not cracks.

A cursory inspection yielded a 9:1 score of cultural origin and subsequent x-radiographic images clearly confirm the identification.

Leave a comment:

• lemanmls
    replied
    Now, there is a problem. There is a comment has been made by an Italian jewellery maker friend of mine, that the black marks on the pearl x-ray are most probably not grafts but fissures ( ?) which can be mistaken with cavities on a beadless cultured pearl.Your opinions are highly appreciated. So confused I am
    Do you think at this point is it better that I bring them to test personally when I am back. Anyway, I will be using the mentioned two labs in my own research for other gemstones & semi-precious stones. The worst part is that I am studying all gem stones at the moment and will have access to the main labs in Istanbul BUT I won't have anyone for interpretation of the results.
    Do you think a tomography or micro spectroscopy ( I will give up 1-2 pearls) is a more valuable tool to identify??

Leave a comment:

• lemanmls
    replied
    Hello Everyone,
    Sorry for late reply. Being abroad and quite busy does not have access all the time here. Once, I 'll be back I intend to visit them again this time with other type of precious stones. I also found a lab where they can do tomography. I will have different kind of pearlstomographed. I will have to pass a very difficult exam in September in order to start the training in October. However, books appearantly is meaningless unless I witness all those tests, x-rays, UV s with bare eyes. I intend to work in the atelier of a jewellery maker for 3 months. I thank you all for your kind assistance until now and will send you some tomography of various pearls soon. Have a great week

Leave a comment:

• GemGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Orient View Post
    Some of the X-rays are actually very good. As others have said there is no doubt the pearls are beadless/non-bead cultured pearls of likely freshwater origin. Everything points to that so your mother will definitely be upset with the news. Looks like the lab has the X-ray equipment to reach conclusions on many types of pearls, they just lack the experience of interpreting the results. Thank you for sharing the results.
    I agree. The x-rays are great. I hope they get some pearl training so they can expand their offerings.

Leave a comment:

• Orient
    replied
    Some of the X-rays are actually very good. As others have said there is no doubt the pearls are beadless/non-bead cultured pearls of likely freshwater origin. Everything points to that so your mother will definitely be upset with the news. Looks like the lab has the X-ray equipment to reach conclusions on many types of pearls, they just lack the experience of interpreting the results. Thank you for sharing the results.

Leave a comment:

• BWeaves
    replied
    It is possible the jeweler was sold these pearls as naturals and honestly believed that they were naturals themselves. I've read that when the Chinese started culturing non-bead nucleated pearls, that a lot of the pearls were sold to jewelers in the middle east as naturals, and it was only after the sudden influx of so many naturals on the market all of a sudden that suspicion grew.

Leave a comment:

• GemGeek
    replied
    Thank you for sharing your story. We all wanted it to have a happy ending. I admire your desire to learn more about jewelry and gemstones. I can say from experience that it is very fulfilling.

Leave a comment:

• perlas
    replied
    Was on the phone with mum today. Mon Dieu!!! I had to hang up three times. She is willing to send all her jewellery she bought from the jewellery maker to gem lab. I should not have been involved in this. I big time regret. However, everything for a reason. I started to educate myself more on this subject and planning to take a specilization course for appraisal especially in antique jewellery in Germany . I am from fashion, have quite knowledge about costume history but definitely fond of antique & jewellery . Meantime, here are the x-rays. It was for this institute 1st time they had a jewellery in their lab taken x-ray
    Hi lemanmls,
    Don't worry too much. I assume the other pieces of jeweler you your mom bought are other gemstones aside from pearls. The gem testing of diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and the usual precious stones are easily identifiable and won't cost as much as the pearls. The reason natural pearl strands are expensive to test if you would like them actions out is that the auction house requires testing of all pearls in the strand which is understandable.

As for the X-Ray photos, I'm afraid the nucleus patterns are indicative of grafted material. Thanks for keeping us posted. We learned a lot from your thread as well.

Leave a comment:

• Katbran
    replied
    It is very disappointing I'm sure to have gone to all this time and trouble and not had the result you wanted. But they are lovely and as Pattye says a 'treasured heirloom' . It's been an education for all of us.

Leave a comment:

• pattye
    replied
    Lemanmls, we have all learned much from your photos and x-rays along with Dave's explanations. Or course it is a disappointment to find out the pearls are not what you and your Mum thought. Still, they are lustrous and treasured heirloom.

Leave a comment:

• MSC
    replied
    I'm so sorry to hear the pearls ended up not being natural, but what an educational experience for everyone! The X-rays were especially good materials to view as you can clearly see the grafts, which I always have a difficult time seeing in the candling photos. Thank you sharing!

Leave a comment:

• FrenchPearl
    replied
    I'm so sorry for your mum lemanmls. I would be very mad too if I were to find out that a family heirloom was not what it was sold for. It must feel to her like a huge betrayal of her family.
    At least, she does not have to pay $2000 to find out the bad news that the necklace is not natural., but it's probably a big disappointment anyway.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. For me, seeing the "graft" signature is fascinating but wished the pearls were natural.
    It's great that you are planning to take a class in appraisal, all the best to you.

Leave a comment:

• JerseyPearl
    replied
    Really wonderful to see the x-rays, thank you for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Lagoon Island Pearls
    replied
    [ATTACH]40557[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]40564[/ATTACH]
    80% of the contrasts are identical. A profile of the tissue graft is clearly visible, equal in length and axis. The remaining 20% are identical, but eccentric patches.

These are cultured freshwater pearls.

Leave a comment:

• lemanmls
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	I2S(2)+Highpass Plus 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	365979Click image for larger version

Name:	I2S(2)+Highpass Plus 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB