Could these be South Sea pearls?

L

lovespearls

My aunt has a strand of pearls she got in the 1950's and says they are South Seas pearls. They aren't very large--ranging from maybe from around 7 to 11 mm in the strand. They are cream, semi-round, and moderately blemished, with a very nice luster. I only know a little bit about pearls--what I'm curious about is this: could they actually be South Seas pearls at this size? Also she's considering selling them, or giving them to her daughter (or to me if her daughter doesn't want them!) But she wants to get a ballpark idea of what they could be worth before bequeathing them. I think if she thought they were worth more than $500 she might want the money. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. However, the largest pearl in this strand is maybe 11 mm, but the smallest are I'd say 7 mm. (I'm pretty sure this is right because I have a strand of 6 mm akoyas and I compared the size.) Does it make any difference that the strand is from the 50's? Did they culture South Seas pearls differently then?

You can hold the pearls to this chart and compare to tell exactly the size of your pearls. I don't know if it makes any difference if the pearls are from the fifties. I printed this page and found the third measure or the last one at the bottom of the page was accurate.
http://www.jewelrygenius.com/aaNEWHTMLS/prlWmmPt.html

Last edited by a moderator:
There are definitely pearls as small as 7mm produced (although 8mm is typically the smallest). The reason we do not see most of them is because they do not hold much popularity in the US. Almost all SSP's of that size make their way to Japan where they are used to produce graduated necklaces.
It is possible that the strand is from the 50's as well. If it is older than this it could not be a cultured South Sea strand as farming did not even start in Australia until the 1950's.
If the strand is South Sea it would most likely be worth much more than $500 if it is in good shape - this being key.

Okay, she says she's sure it's from the 50's because she received it as a gift at that time period, though she's not sure exactly what year, and she was told they were South Seas pearls. The strand is graduated with a gold clasp with a small pearl on top. So, how do I tell whether they're in good condition? What do I look for?

Also, if she decides to sell them what would be the best way to go about this? She has tried before to sell some of her jewelry to a jewelry store, but came away very discouraged at the low prices they offered.

Check the surface of the pearls and look for cracks (especially around the drill holes) and discoloration in general on the surface. If the pearls were not well-cared for they may have a distinct yellowish coloration to them.

A strand this old would not be a piece that would be sold in your typical jewelry store unless they specifically deal with antique jewelry. You would need to find a buyer that is interested in the era. I would suggest something like a jewelry auction, but it would definitely behoove you to appraise them first. I suggest Northwest Gem Labs in Boise Idaho. Sharon Wakefield should be able to give you an accurate assessment and valuation. This would be the best way to authenticate them as South Sea pearls. It is very likely that a jeweler would not be able to do a good assessment. In my experience most jewelers cannot tell the difference between a round, high-quality freshwater pearl and an Akoya or South Sea. One that could give you an accurate valuation would be extremely difficult to find.

Please find her contact info below:

Sharon Wakefield
sharon@gem-science.com
208-362-3938

Thank you for that information--you've really got me looking at them now! I see no cracks near the drill holes and they don't look discolored to me, but they do have a creamy, slightly yellowish color with a pinkish cast. And now that I'm looking closer they appear less round to me--some of them are pretty lopsided, whereas some are closer to round. How lopsided do they have to be before one calls them baroque? Some of the pearls on the strand, if they were taken off, would probably look baroque to me, but altogether they come off as pretty round.

As for the appraiser, I'd love to do this, but have you any idea what it would cost?

Thanks again, very much!

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture.

I will try to get my aunt to do the appraisal; that's the best idea.

However, I would like to ask another question: I realize that baroque South Seas pearls are worth a lot less than round ones. So if these are considered baroque, even if they're genuine South Seas pearls in good condition, would you still stick to the guess that they're likely worth more than $500?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Absolutely! They would be worth much more than $500 if they are not cultured. I would love to be able to see them. If this is indeed the case, they would be very valuable. I believe you should definitely get them appraised by an expert.

South Sea Pearls?

South Sea Pearls?

I believe there is a distinct possibility the pearls are indeed South Sea pearls and possibly even natural. About the only other option would be for them to be faux pearls.

Freshwater pearls like this did not exist until just a few years ago, and Akoya pearls still aren't cultured to this size.

The only way to determine if they are natural pearls is to have them x-rayed by a lab. This would determine if there is a bead nucleus. This would also determine nacre thickness. If the nacre thickness is < 1mm on each side, then they are most likely Akoya pearls. If the nacre thickness is 2+mm on each side, they are most likely South Sea pearls.

Pearls of the noted size could indeed be South Sea, but the issue that I have is the time line.
Australia did not start farming pearls until the 1950's, with the first quality crops appearing in the early 60's. Until the Japanese took an interest in the culturing possibilities of the Pinctada maxima they were simply collected for their shells, with a rare pearl occassionally found as a bonus.
If the strand were from the 50's and it were South Sea, I would surmise it to be a natural. I have serious doubts, however, as the strand would be extremely rare and valuable - I just feel the odds are greatly against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back