Want to buy South Sea Pearl strand

Mastiiffmom

Thank you all who helped with their input on my 15mm SS pearl earrings I purchased on eBay. I do believe they are most likely authentic. But I am taking them to my jeweler in the morning just to be sure.

On to my next venture. I really want a White South Sea strand of pearls. I’d like a graduating strand 10mm-15mm or 12mm-17mm. I like the big and bold. But I don’t like the price tag that goes along with these. Yikes!

I have read that I can go to the Philippines and find this necklace for a fraction of US prices. But maybe there are other places to go that are not quite so far away? I am also open to buying an estate piece and having them re-strung. Or buying a box of loose pearls and having them strung. Is this ever done? I’m looking for a bargain. Lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would give up on bargains where SSP strands are concerned and go for the best you can afford from a truly reliable seller that allows returns. :) Or, get a beautiful freshwater strand that resembles the SSP you want.

You can get larger SSP for less money if you buy baroque or circled strands. :)

I remember Pearl Paradise getting some beautiful white edison strands in about a year ago that looked very similar to white SSPs. If you do a search you might be able to find a few folks' photos showing them and comparing them to real ssp. I think Baby Nurse had a very pretty one, so her thread might be a good place to look.

Thank you so much! You have all been so great! I own an Akoya pearl strand of 9mm pearls which I have had for many years. It’s about 35”. I have always wanted a triple strand of the same. I was shocked at the prices. The jeweler suggested freshwater pearls. I have several pieces with those too, mixed with onyx and other beads. But they are odd shaped pearls. I didn’t realize they were round too! I found a triple strand of very high quality freshwater pearls that is incredibly beautiful for a fraction of the price of Akoya. I was thrilled!! Now I find out about these “Edison” pearls. I have been living under a rock. Lol

Pearl Paradise has some very nice strands of WSS pearls on sale now… :)

All good advice here. I can personally vouch for all the vendors mentioned as each provides excellent customer service and pricing.

I have been living under a rock. Lol

No you haven't. The advances in types of pearls has been growing by leaps and bounds. Every year there's something new or bigger or rounder or hollow or something.

Another vendor I've read good things about is tahitianpearls.biz, which also sells SSP.

Thank you again, everyone, very much! It seems these Edison pearl strand are hard to find as they sell out very quickly. I did find a strand from a very reputable jeweler in Florida at an excellent price. They only had one. Yay me!! I’ll post photos when it arrives. I’m going to remain on my hunt for the South Sea strand as well. But in the mean time, hopefully this one will get me by. ��

Back