Are these South Sea Pearls

ssp_lover

Hi,
I'm new to pearls and would appreciate the experts' advise if these are south sea pearls?

Much thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to the forum.
If you could post a picture of your pearls on a white background, we could help you ID your pearls.

I don't see a photo either.

ssp_lover, please take a few photos...
• without flash
• against a white background (e.g. a paper towel)
• include close ups.

Please tell us any history for the pearls. Where you got them, etc.
If there is a clasp, what are the markings on the clasp?
What size are they?

Last edited:
Are these South sea pearls?

These were bought online from a seller from Palawan Philippines. They are set with 925 silver.
Are the experts able to tell from the photo if these are SSP ?

Many thanks for your earlier replies.

Attachments

• SSP earrings 2Oct17.jpg
    SSP earrings 2Oct17.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 44

These are 9-10mm in size.
Set in 925 silver.
Bought online from a seller in Palawan.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Attachments

• SSP earrings 2Oct17.jpg
    SSP earrings 2Oct17.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 37
The photo is a bit small, but the fact that one pearl is slightly more dark golden than the other makes it likelier that they are a) real pearls and b) not dyed freshwaters.

The size is in the right range for GSS pearls.
Are they completely round?
Silver is a bit downscale for valuable pearls but it's still a precious metal.
I don't want to ask you how much you paid, but does the price seem to you to be the right range for round GSS pearls? What does your "gut" tell you?

It's hard to know if they are dyed or not either. If you didn't pay much then they might be treated. They don't look like dyed freshwater but they could be colour enhanced. If you didn't pay too much - check online for prices for similar sized GSS - then I'd just enjoy them. They look at bit off round ..but that could be the photo .. and, if that's the case, that's not a real problem and would be reflected in a lower price than round. Also the Sterling findings , as PD mentioned , isn't something one would think to find on good pearls. They are just keeping their costs down.

I'm not sure if they are completely round. These are my first pair of GSS and first time buying online so I didn't want to spend too much. Paid less than USD200. There are 2-3 fish bites on each one. Do FWP come with fish bites too?

Given that they are not completely round, have silver posts and a few of the blemishes you describe, the price is understandable. They could reasonably be GSS pearls.

I know what you're taking about with the "fish bite" blemishes and have seen them on SSP but I can't answer about whether bead- nucleated FWP might have similar blemishes, not owning any.

I have a strand of Edisons, purchased several years ago from Pearl Paradise during a Mother's Day promo. Several of the pearls have pin pricks, which I believe are what the op is calling "fish bites" Let me see if I can find a photo....here ya go...12-15mm Edison strand from Pearl Paradise
IMG_0724.jpg

Hi. I’m new here too. Just joined as I am reviving my long lost romance with Ssp. Yes, i can tell that’s real golden ss. I am
Originally from the Philippines and I get mine from Palawan as well. Hope you have peace of mind now. Which seller did you get it from?

They are some beautiful earrings. Well done for finding a good price on GSS

Back