Mythical Pearls

koerniawan79

These are my pearls, mythical pearls found in the coconut a couple years ago.

These were when I found them

image.jpg

And, these the recent pictures

image.jpg

What do you think about it?

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic.

To the best of my knowledge, they are a portion of a seed which has been blocked from germination and becomes engorged. While there is some evidence of calcification they are not pearls as we know them from both growth and initiation standpoints.

Pearls are molluscan in origin. Coconut pearls form in the absence of epithelial cells and complexed hormonal regulation.

They certainly are a rarity and a curiosity though, thank you for sharing the images.

These are my pearls, mythical pearls found in the coconut a couple years ago...
mmmh, nice collection of molds you have there...
Wayne's Word, the source of much of the descriptive text and photographs used to illustrate coconut pearls on the Internet, writes that "several botany textbooks flatly state that coconut pearls are a hoax because proof of their existence is totally unfounded" and "I prematurely published an on-line note about this "pearl"

so, is this the proof that such exist? interesting, I know a copra production plant but never heard of coconut pearl from the owner...
May we ask the species of coconut and where was it grown?

read this as well.

Strack writes about them in her book, Pearls, on pages 283-4.

She mentions the theory that they are caused by the petrification of shoots that fail to grow out of the coconut's third "eye."

But she adds that today it's generally believed that the pearls come from the giant clam or the horseshoe clam and that inhabitants of SE Asian islands place the pearls into the coconuts.

I do not know what people may believe they are but this said we have what may be called a ball (definitely not a pearl) growing inside some of the cocos, in the Philippines those are called either (depending on the dialect) buwa, bowa, bot-bot or even boto... The translation is colorful though :eek:
Such is edible and not considered incredible nor rare nor anything out of the ordinary.
My understanding from the first post and from Dave's addition was that there was evidence of calcification... Hence we must certainly be talking about two different things...

I do not know what people may believe they are but this said we have what may be called a ball (definitely not a pearl) growing inside some of the cocos, in the Philippines those are called either (depending on the dialect) buwa, bowa, bot-bot or even boto... The translation is colorful though :eek:
Such is edible and not considered incredible nor rare nor anything out of the ordinary.
My understanding from the first post and from Dave's addition was that there was evidence of calcification... Hence we must certainly be talking about two different things...

Edible?? but my pearls are as hard as rocks... haha...
I think your Buwa, bowa , bot-bot or what else is bigger and soft. Look at the size in comparison with the coin... it is a normal-pearl size
I've been searching in the internet for the authenticity of this pearls but no result... That why i called these mythical pearls :eek:
I am curios my self how these pearls can be found "INSIDE" the coconut... as you can see when I found it its only the surface seen...

I don't know much about coconuts. I do know they are rich in calcium generally and it stands to reason that overmature glands can concentrate tartars or plaque or enlarge for no or any other reason.

It's difficult to speculate without observation. Are these available for inspection? A couple of hours in the lab will undoubtedly provide some answers.

I don't know much about coconuts. I do know they are rich in calcium generally and it stands to reason that overmature glands can concentrate tartars or plaque or enlarge for no or any other reason.

It's difficult to speculate without observation. Are these available for inspection? A couple of hours in the lab will undoubtedly provide some answers.

Where is the lab?.. I am curious my self how these rock-hard material can be found "INSIDE" a coconut

So when LagoonIslandPearls mentions calcium, this brings to mind a similar instance, a human being can produce a hard small ball often provoked by calcium, one example is the dreaded "kidney stone" and also tiny calcification round balls can form in human muscle, I know as there is a tiny one in my right shoulder muscle via xray. (can't remember what they are called). So I would conclude that many of the inhabitants of the earth, whether animal vegetable or mineral can produce in their own way a round hard object; and many with evidence of calcification etc; but to me calling all of them a pearl would be stretching things a bit. I did also find another website with photos of such coconut pearls and some other very weird pearl-like items from other botanical sources, but as the website was totally devoted to the occult and magical use of such, it did not give me much hope that the information there has any evidence on which to base their claims. But then I slept through science class in college, so what do I know?????:confused:

Daddys Little Pearl

My firfox crashed after I typed in a bunch of stuff I found in Strack- and the autosave didn't save it. I am going to word than paste it in.

But first, I saw your one photo and I have some questions about it. Where did you come about finding this coconut? In what part of the world? Did you personally buy the coconut to eat and cracked the coconut open to find the pearls? Or was it opened when you first saw them? Did this discovery entail an exchange with another person? Why just one photo if you want to teach us about coconut pearls or show us that they exist? What has been done with them since you opened the shell? Have you had any testing whatsoever? On what grounds can you possibly make this claim?

I am not being difficult, it is just that such a find has different meanings and explanations in different contexts.

Pearl Dreams has given you the highlights from Strack, but there is far more to the subject and as I said I would the last time elephant pearls came up, I did talk to her about them when I saw her for dinner at the Gem Show this year. She said she thought there may be something to the coconut pearls stories, but disputes that mustika coconut pearls could possibly be authentic.

Which is why we need to know the story that goes with those pearls.

I intend to put this subject in context in a post, but since I lost my first try, I am not sure I am up to rewrite right away.

Just for fun, here are some coconut pearls from a mustika shop. http://www.indotalisman.com/pearls2.html

Last edited:
To dlp
Calcaric concretions are found in many animals' intestines. They are known as bezoar stones. They have no practical value except as oddities. My friend once got a bezoar from her Arabian horse that killed it, it was large, around 12 pounds. She has it on display and actually wrote a paper on their occurrence in horses in a too alkaline intestinal environment We occasionally hear of a pearl from a lobster or other non mollusk. The lobster pearl was protenaceous,(sp) which I think many odd and non-intestinal pearls are. They are all unimaginably rare.

A few old time religions with shamanic like aspects in Indonesia, perhaps influenced by Hinduism can find -not bezoars, but silica glass manmade objects called mustikas which are all called "pearls". Authentic bezoars can be mustikas, but they are extraordinarily rare and so the demand creates alternatives.

The argument may not be whether such objects exist, but is any particular object an authentic example of nature -or of shamanism?

So the existence and authenticity of these pearls are still in doubt. Sorry my limited knowledge about pearl. From some sources on the web these are considered as pearl, and shared mine in this forum. I found these pearls on my trip to an Island in Papua. cracked it to drink the water and taste the coconut and saw these thing just like my first picture. Tried to pulled the pearl up from the coconut but I am affraid it will scratch it. I decided to bring it home and wait until the coconut got rotten and soften. I have to wait for almost a month to finally picked it up without scrathed it.

A necklace with a golden pendant would be georgeous with these pearls. I think.

Thanks everybody

That is the perfect story. And those are the pearls you obtained from that coconut?

You have something unique and probably of scientific interest to those following the topic of coconut pearls.

You should explore how to get them examined and authenticated.

If the exam backs up your story, this find settles the question of the proven existence of coconut pearls for once and for all. And it would cause a buzz in the news in several related circles. The story of how you found them will give you a moment of fame. Your name will go into the next Strack book with a photo of the pearls and a lab report.

I notice you left off the pronoun in your statement as who cracked it. Mistake or coincidence?

I wish you the best possible outcome on this finding.

Thanks Caitlin,
I think this thread is quite interesting, but also can be quite confusing for new pearl students like myself who are struggling to learn what is and is not a pearl. Just studying the various types of pearls produced by shells, which as I understand did not used to be considered a pearl or at least had doubts as to their existence, is enough to boggle my mind (and also sent me to my garden to give all my old conch shells a good shake to see if anything might be lurking inside !). I gue?ss what is involved here is what is the TRUE definition of a pearl. We now know it is not just nacre that defines such, but I really don't think we are going to find a treasure trove of pearls in the grocery produce section. I would also be feared that the so called coconut pearl might over a period of time deteriorate? (sudden thought of fruit flies chasing a lady wearing one :rolleyes: )
On a serious note, I would love it if someone who has one of these coconut "pearls" would either get it examined at a lab or at least smash it to see what layers might be inside, would be interesting.

Daddys Little Pearl

Wouldn't want to smash a real one! I am serious about asking the finder to get it examined. It would end the coconut pearl controversy for once and for all. Coconut pearls do not seem to have much mystical intensity compared to some of the others. But to be the finder of one in situ is a lucky, lucky break, because it will solve a pesky problem about coconut pearls.

Yes. It was found in Papua New Guinea, part of Indonesia. Just a hop from Australia. And without touching it, I can't tell if the pearls themselves aren't from Tridacna clams. No wonder scientists have been claiming that is what they are.

One other factoid. The tourist coconut pearls come in pairs, so the evidence really needs to be tested before acceptance. This does seem to be a possiblity and it should be examined by experts, maybe a team of them. That has been done by someone on this forum before, on another almost mythical pearl, and he ended up being a world expert on his pearls.

So the existence and authenticity of these pearls are still in doubt. Sorry my limited knowledge about pearl. From some sources on the web these are considered as pearl, and shared mine in this forum. I found these pearls on my trip to an Island in Papua. cracked it to drink the water and taste the coconut and saw these thing just like my first picture. Tried to pulled the pearl up from the coconut but I am affraid it will scratch it. I decided to bring it home and wait until the coconut got rotten and soften. I have to wait for almost a month to finally picked it up without scrathed it.

A necklace with a golden pendant would be georgeous with these pearls. I think.

Thanks everybody

Having found these yourself adds tremendous provenance. There are differing opinions about them, but there is no substitute for finding something yourself.

Now that I know you are the finder. I have a multitude of questions.

First. Documentation. I will ask you at this time to write a report in simple point form.

Identify the species in common and latin names. List time, date and location of harvest.

Generalize the age of the tree and comment on the ripeness and quality of the water/flesh.

Briefly describe how you came to the island and how you encountered the specimen.

Briefly describe the tool used to open it, and the angle from which it was struck. Likewise describe how many pieces were created.

Now, most importantly... describe the location of the specimens. For example, top, bottom... near a crack in the shell, or at one of the spots (whatever they're called, lol) or just random perhaps.

Did the specimens appear attached to anything, threads, veins or membranes?

Measure the size on all 3 axis. Weigh in grams, individually.

Describe, hot or cold to touch. Do they appear light or heavy when held. Are they gritty? Easily scratched? Easily dimpled?

Inspect the shell closely. Look for signs of cracking, misshapen, holes bored by bugs, etc.

Lastly, gather as many photographs, plane tickets, receipts and witnesses. Simply proving your trip and time of harvest goes a long way to help.

Put all these things together, you might find yourself pioneering something very new. Once we have a few more answers, we can discuss labs, because I'm not certain which might be the most appropriate at this time. In the meanwhile, some simple macro shots and some minor microscospy should give us a closer look at the structure.

Good luck to you.

Back