Unlikely Tahitian Pearl

jshepherd

I thought you Tahitian pearl lovers may enjoy this picture. The pearl is 12/17mm.

Intense peacock pearl shaped like a football

Football pearl

Football pearl

What a beauty. Now, here is the perfect manly pearl, so to speak the super bowl of pearls, the football-shaped Tahitian.

Zeide

The picture is not blurry, either. It is spinning, and although it is difficult to tell from the angle, it is symmetrical and has a perfect spiral in either direction. Out of 12,000 in that size range, it is a one of a kind. I would love to make a strand with matching pieces someday. I doubt it would be possible, though.
Another pair of pearls I pulled are perfect 11.5mm "acorn-shape", with perfectly clean faces. I made them into a pair of earrings today as you can see below. Not to sell - but as a special gift for the wife of a Chinese Akoya farmer. It is not the shape that I found so unique, it is the color - the deep cherry that comes out of each only when viewed directly toward the face. It is hard to explain as this may sound typical, but the depth and the contrast of the color really is not.

Acorn shape baroque tahitian pearl studs

Last edited by a moderator:
Pearl shapes

Pearl shapes

Now here is a plea from tall women with dainty ears. Please ask the Tahitian farmers you are working with to nucleate more button shapes. I like big earrings but my dainty lobes do not support the big rounds. In round the absolutely biggest I han handle is about 9.5mm but they typically get entangled in my hair and since that is over 3 feet long, I always have to take out the earrings, rebraid my hair and put the earrings back on again. I never have that problem with button studs, so I usually wear my homegrown black buttons with my Tahitians.

Zeide

Zeide,

For women with long hair in general, I have really long red hair and have similar problems with some earings getting tangled in my hair weather braided, or down. I do not dare wear buttons or anything larger than 9mm for some odd reason Drops seem fine with my hair....

Jeremy,

Those Pics are Yummy!

Some how I missed this thread. What an incredible pearl! And I am slowly building my mental pictures of Ashby and Zeide!

Caitlin

Should we be affraid??? LOL..... Then again Why am I talking about Hair wrapping arround my pearl earings when I purposefully weave and "sew" Pearls into my Renaissance hairstyles..... Kinda silly really.....

Back