Tahitian Pendant Size?

Karsh

First off, hello everyone! I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but then again, it seems to be most appropriate here.

My girlfriend absolutely loves pearls and so, for the past several gift-giving occasions, they have been my default gift to her. It's a long, sappy story, but our anniversary coincides with Valentine's Day, so I wanted to bust out the pearls again.

For Christmas, I gave her these. From reading over the forums a little bit, I've since gathered that Premium Pearl is not so Premium, but let's please spare that whole debate, as the earrings were very nice, and she was thrilled when she saw them (and their pendants are more expensive than several other places, so they're more or less out of the running anyways. And the chain isn't included? What the heck?).

Next on the list is a pendant to go with the earrings, and herein lies my question(s): How big of a pearl should I be wanting to get to best complement the earrings? If they were 8.5-9 mm, do I need a ~10 or 11 mm? Also, I know smaller and higher quality is better, but I've seen quite a few pendants that have the same sort of diamond accent as the earrings. Should I opt for a smaller pearl with a diamond accent, or would the money for the diamond be better spent on a larger pearl?

Also, I've done some poking around, and although I don't want to be a complete cheapskate, I'm also a "starving" college student, so I don't want to break the bank with this, either. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: Ah, an important catch to purchasing preference -- she doesn't like yellow gold, so it has to be a white colored metal for any suggestions you may have.

Last edited:
Karsh,

Welcome to the forum, and to the challenge "how to satisfy our love of pearls while delighting our significant others at the same time?"

Take a look at this enhancer/pendant?and I risk selling it out from under you by even drawing attention to it! Jeweler and the pearl farmer are both friends of this forum, and you cannot hope for greater quality or authenticity. The gold will not match the earrings, but it will be a natural next step and as an enhancer it can be hung from any number of chains and necklaces that are clearly also in your future!

Steve
Seattle

One vote for simple larger pearl in white gold.

The color of the pearl may not match the earrings... But I don't think that should be a problem - perhaps you might even consider choosing a different color (silver-gray, or golden).

Along the lines of 'modern conventional' designs, something like THIS

Also, I would think that 10mm is normal for black or golden pearls - usually the starting size. Smaller are hard to find! [e.g. just try to locate a rope of 8mm fine blacks - a colleague has been struggling for half a year!]... and there are lots of other things loosely presented as cultured black lip pearls in those smaller sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the earrings are round, personally I'd choose a round pendant as well, and for myself I would want it a bit larger than the earrings. How much larger would depend on your wallet. And I wouldn't care if the pendant also had a diamond or not. More important would be similar quality.

I fully support Valeria's suggestion. The pendant she mentioned has the same classic qualities as the earrings. I'd rather stay with the same color.
The size of the pearl depends on your budget.

Hello and welcome!
I have a tahitian pendant and earrings that are about the same size and they look great together. They are both 9-10, the earrings are drops and the pendant is a round, and very nicely matched in color. I bought them at pearlparadise. I'm sure an extra mm or two on your pendant would look wonderful but I think even in a similar size it would all work well together.
GL and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've decided to go with Valeria's suggestion, and I got a 10-11 mm pearl, which is large enough without breaking the bank.

Also as a side effect, if it weren't for having spent like $600 in the last month and a half, I think I might've wound up getting something for myself, too!

Perfect Pearl said:
Matching is part of the 7 pearl value factors created the Gemological Institute of America (GIA)

Does this apply to anything but strands?

Valeria101 said:
Does this apply to anything but strands?

Matching as a value factor is focused on strands, but applies to any piece where pearls are permanently set as a group, such as a cluster ring, or earrings, which are matched in sets.

Matching doesn't apply to jewelry "separates" like rings, pendants and earrings because they are valued individually.

Multi-color pearl strands are evaluated for matching, based on the harmony or balance of the composition of shades.

Does that help, or am I compounding the know-it-all problem?:D

Excellent decision, Karsh.

Matching: Is it conceivable in the case of relatively rare pearls (such as large keshi)?earrings and strand purchased at the same time from the same batch of matched pearls?might accumulate value, since finding such a perfect match at a later date would be pure chance?

smetzler said:
Excellent decision, Karsh.

Matching: Is it conceivable in the case of relatively rare pearls (such as large keshi)?earrings and strand purchased at the same time from the same batch of matched pearls?might accumulate value, since finding such a perfect match at a later date would be pure chance?

From an appraisal standpoint, having matched pearl pieces that are truly rare magnifies the value many-fold. Rarity trumps all. ;)

Back